Sugary delights, bubbly sustain funding

Three Seasons to host 5th annual Chocolate and Champagne event Sunday

By Keno Greene, Staff Writer

Live music and sugary delights will set the mood at the 5th Annual Chocolate and Champagne event Sunday in the Three Seasons Restaurant from noon until 3 p.m.

The culinary arts department hosts the event to help students gain the opportunity to travel the world in the department’s study abroad program.

Tickets are available for purchase in the culinary arts department in AA-234 for $25 in advance and $30 at the door.

This past summer, six students traveled to Italy in part because of fundraising like this.

The trip to Italy every summer provides a promising experience that allows students a hands-on exposure to the rich quality of cuisine in other parts of the world.

The music department’s Jazzanova and Jazz-ology groups, featuring soft Brazilian melodies (with scat technique vocals and instrumentation) will provide music to create an ambiance for all to enjoy.

The music ensembles will have their good vibes pressed up and packaged for purchase in their latest CD titled “One Clear Day.”

The music sets the mood for the event, but every year the chocolate is the star of the show.

Last year more than 200 attendees were graced with chocolate pasta and chocolate covered bacon that may be on the menu again.

Culinary arts department Chairperson Nader Sharkes said, “Chicken mole with chocolate sauce will be prepared this year” to add a twist to the traditional dish and flow with delectable savory-sweet palette.

The beverages will be native to the area, with all of the vendors having ties to the Bay Area.

Monticello Vineyards in Napa, Oakland’s Rosenbloom Cellars, and Chrissa Imports in San Francisco will provide those legally tolerant of the 12 percent alcohol content fine domestic and European beer, wine and liquor to compliment their taste buds with beverage pairings and their food of choice.

The intense flavor of chocolate pairs smoothly with the right wine. Veering away from the buzz there is something for those who prefer non-alcoholic beverages.

“We have Purity Organic,” Angel Chau, culinary instructional assistant said, managing the new and returning vendors for Sunday’s event. Specializing organic for everyone, Purity Organic manufactures drinks that feature organically farmed ingredients.

Third semester culinary arts student, Audrey Borreani, said, “This year I would like to make sweet treats with champagne to add a variety to the range of chocolates offered. Last year I made spicy macaroon and a honey goat cheese puff. This year, maybe champagne macaroons and fruit caviar,” she said.

Delving into the science of food, Borreani said, “People forget poached fruit compliments the chocolate when served with champagne.”