Workshops accentuate grants

Departure tweaks process, faculty attempt to make transition seamless

By Roxana Amparo, Associate Editor

As scholarship deadlines approach, students have the chance to attend a series of workshops offering guidance for the application process.

Charles Ramirez, Financial Aid Office student coordinator, said the most recent scholarship workshop was held on Jan. 28 from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Assessment Center, located inside the Student Services Center, for those seeking one-on-one help filling applications.

“We are trying new things by making Web pages, and being active on social media to let people know that we are having scholarship workshops,” Ramirez said. “It’s free money. Grants are being given away, but a lot of times students do not actually apply for these scholarships.”

Applications must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office on March 7 by 4:30 p.m. to be processed, Financial Aid Supervisor Monica Rodriguez said.

Because Jennifer Dyment, former scholarship coordinator, has assumed the new role of foundation advancement manager at the District Office, Rodriguez said she will be in charge of collecting and processing students applications in the Financial Aid Office inside the SSC until the college can hire a replacement.

Ramirez said their job throughout the process will be to raise awareness about the scholarships and the dates for the workshops.

To promote scholarships, the financial aid team has a carousel set up inside of the Student Services Center in front of the financial aid desk, showcasing the different scholarships available.

Students can submit applications in person or by email or fax as long as they meet the March deadline.

Rodriguez said there are about 60 scholarships in the College Foundation that students can apply to depending on each scholarship’s prerequisites.

Ramirez said scholarships are classified as external or internal.

External scholarships include those funded by a donor, organization, business or foundation outside of the College Foundation, such as the Kennedy King Memorial College Scholarship Fund.

The Kennedy King Memorial College Scholarship Fund awards a two-year scholarship of $5,000 per year to students of ethnic minority groups who have demonstrated academic success.

Students who are interested in the Kennedy King scholarship must submit their applications to the Financial Aid Office by Friday.

Internal scholarships, which include department and program scholarships, such as African American Studies, English as a Second Language, Mathematics, Nursing Program among other scholarships, are provided through the College Foundation.

Rodriguez said additions to the internal scholarships this semester include the political science and nursing departments.

Financial Aid Assistant Patricia Herrera said students will know whether they could qualify for the scholarship before applying because the requirements are listed clearly on the applications.

“A lot of students are afraid to look for these scholarships,” Herrera said. “We are here for international students who ask ‘is this for me?’”

Students planning to apply for the general scholarships must be enrolled in at least 12 units for spring 2016 with a 2.5 GPA.

Several $750 general scholarships are awarded to students who are continuing their studies at CCC for 2016-17.

Ramirez said students that apply to more than one type of scholarship have a good chance of being approved for multiple because other students usually do not apply.

“We try to guide students and encourage them to apply,” Ramirez said. “But a lot of students don’t take the chance.”