Comet guard sets pace to BVC title

Cody Casares / The Advocate

Forward Larry Wickett and guard Julian Robinson earned 2015-16 Athlete of the Year honors for their leadership and outstanding performance on and off the court.

As the lone freshman starter for the women’s basketball team, many expected the 2015-16 season to be filled with the rough patches and adjustment periods that usually define the transition many players have when moving from high school to the college level.

But for 6-foot-2 guard Julian Robinson, the transition came as smooth as her mid-range jump shot.

Robinson averaged 20 points and 13 rebounds a game for Kennedy High School in her senior season. The guard earned Player-of-the-Game honors for her 14-point, eight-rebound and six-assist performance in playoff action against Tamalpais High school.

That year, 2013-14, she was also named to the North Coast Section Girls Basketball Team.

This year in her first season for the Comets, Robinson was named Bay Valley Conference Most Valuable Player and her 17 points,10 rebounds, three assists and four blocks per game was enough to merit an addition to the All-State team. For all of this she has also been named The Advocate’s Female Athlete of the Year for 2015-16.

“I always wanted to play for a hometown team and coach Paul (DeBolt) finally convinced me to come,” Robinson said. “There was a strange vibe from the team early on — not much chemistry. Then everybody woke up and stopped worrying about playing time and scoring averages and focused on just winning.”

Her first two games started innocently enough, notching 10 and 13 points  in two early season victories.

It was not until her 23-point, 19-rebound outburst in a 72-61 loss to eventual state champion Mt. San Antonio College that her potential would begin to come to fruition.

The freshman totaled single-digit scoring numbers in just three of the Comets’ 31 contests this season, all before BVC play began.

In the BVC, Robinson never scored below 13 points in a game and spearheaded the Comets ferocious attack against every team it was slated to battle for conference supremacy.

After opening BVC play with a 19-point performance against the College of Marin on Jan. 5, the guard strung together a quartet of 20+ point performances, including a 36-point, eight rebound explosion in an 86-80 win at Solano Community College.

“I knew she was good, but I didn’t know how she played or what her stats were before she got here,” sophomore forward and fellow All-BVC first teamer Jacqie Moody said. “I was proud of her whole freshman journey as an athlete this year.”

Robinson proved to be a nightmare matchup for all of the teams CCC faced this year. At 6-2, her frame screams post player but her skill offers advantages at any position on the hardwood.

Throughout the season teams would attempt to guard Robinson with the tallest player available. The MVP would exploit those slower defenders and when teams switched to smaller defenders, she would simply shoot over the top of them.

Robinson not only used her height to score, the freshman also averaged 3.5 assists per game and gathered at least 14 rebounds in six matchups.

“She gets very emotional, kind of like Nay (Ahjahna Coleman) did last year,” Comet center Briah Davis said.  “She is the most intense, driven person that I have ever seen on the court.”

When the women’s basketball team lost half of its team to eligibility issues in January, it was Robinson, DeBolt said, who was the first to stand against the notion of adding additional players to the team.

“I wanted to find more players because at that point we had just six. But Juju wasn’t having it,” DeBolt said.

Robinson said, “We had 14 players, but we weren’t really disciplined. People would make every excuse to try to miss practice,” Robinson said. “With the girls gone, every player stepped up and practices got harder, more intense. That’s when we started to grow.”

She continued, “Being on a team is another form of loyalty. I’m loyal to these girls. I wish we had another year together.”