Affordable sushi found near campus

Gyoza+Express+opens+its+doors+to+offer+a+variety+of+sushi+and+Japanese+dishes+Monday+through+Saturday+from+10%3A30+a.m.+to+9+p.m.+at+the+College+Center+shopping+plaza+just+off+campus.+

Gyoza Express opens its doors to offer a variety of sushi and Japanese dishes Monday through Saturday from 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. at the College Center shopping plaza just off campus.

By Efrain Valdez, Advocate Staff

Gyoza Express is a sushi restaurant that offers a great variety of sushi rolls, food bowls and drinks in a convenient location for Contra Costa College students.

It is located in the shopping center across from CCC on 14350 Laurie Lane.

During my trip to the restaurant I had the Lion King roll, 49ers roll and the deep fried California roll. The most popular of the sushi rolls is the Lion King roll. It is a California roll topped with salmon and a house special sauce. It is not the cheapest place around to eat, but it is not overpriced. The price is fair considering the great quality and taste of the food.

Slightly right of the counter there is a sushi bar. Right above the bar there is a screen with the menu and three high definition televisions so patrons can enjoy sporting events.

The drink selection behind the counter features a variety of drinks like Snapple, canned sodas, and Mexican beer and sodas. After ordering your food and drink, you can make your way to any available seat and watch a game.

The restaurant can seat about 40 people and is overall fairly spacious. The lighting in the restaurant is dim. This restaurant is convenient for students because it is a five-minute walk from campus.

What stands out the most is that Gyoza Express is never too busy. This is surprising because the shopping center it is located in is often busy.

Even though Gyoza Express has only been open for about four years, I’m surprised it doesn’t have more clientele. Trying to explain why the restaurant isn’t busy is hard thing to figure out.

The issue may be due to the owners of the restaurant failing to advertise effectively. Many people do not know that Gyoza Express is a sushi restaurant at first glance when driving by.

Gyoza Express is a great option if you are trying to avoid fast food restaurants and long lines.

I would highly recommend this restaurant if you are looking for good sushi, which is hard to find in the Richmond-San Pablo area.