The Student Voice Of Contra Costa College, San Pablo, Calif.

The Advocate

Misuse of term ‘woke’ pushes need to unite

Misuse of term ‘woke’ pushes need to unite

By Robert Clinton, Sports Editor
April 10, 2017
Filed under Opinion

In these turbulent times that we live in, many believe the end result of becoming an agent against systematic oppression requires little more than wearing the label of ally and topping it off with the proclamation of being “woke.” Make no mistake, like many things deemed cool in America, “woke...

NFL owners vote removes Raiders from Oakland

NFL owners vote removes Raiders from Oakland

By Efrain Valdez, Opinion Editor
March 29, 2017
Filed under Opinion

Ripping out the heart and torching the soul of Raider fans in the East Bay, the NFL owners voted on Monday to approve the relocation of the Oakland Raiders to Las Vegas. Mark Davis and the other 31 NFL owners voted 31-1 to take away one of the most historic football teams in professional sports from Oak...

Trump’s immigration policies hurt America

Trump’s immigration policies hurt America

By Dylan Collier, Assistant Scene Editor
March 14, 2017
Filed under Opinion

President Donald Trump continues to disgust working Americans with the policies he’s trying to pass, especially his threats to repeal any rights that undocumented individuals deserve. Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) is an example. There are criteria all applicants must meet. Applicant...

Losing focus on reality

Losing focus on reality

By The Advocate, Editorial Board
March 14, 2017
Filed under Opinion

Death is a reality that we all must face, but coping with how and when death arrives is not as simple — especially when a loved one is ripped away and no one can answer the only question that matters — “why?” Former Contra Costa College student Demarcus Doss, 24, was shot and killed while d...

Spoon-fed manipulation

Spoon-fed manipulation

By The Advocate, Editorial Board
March 8, 2017
Filed under Opinion

Four months after President Donald Trump’s election the political war of ideologies still wages — but the war front transcends the bloody steps on the UC Berkeley campus. We live in a society that fights hate with hate. If disagreements about race, religion, gender, jobs or immigration on social m...

Fans hopeful that ownership shift will pay dividends

Fans hopeful that ownership shift will pay dividends

By Efrain Valdez, Social Media Editor
March 8, 2017
Filed under Opinion

For baseball fans in the East Bay, Lew Wolff stepping down as owner of the Oakland A’s warms the hearts of long-suffering fans in the community. Wolff bought the team alongside John Fisher in 2005, in what was supposed to be a positive move for the organization. However, since the acquisition the A’s...

Thoughts on trading blood and money

Thoughts on trading blood and money

By Benjamin Bassham, News Editor
March 8, 2017
Filed under Opinion

It’s ruthlessly cold-blooded but there has to be an exchange rate between human lives and money. When I was 12. I learned that a human life is worth about $5 million. When a safety measure is being considered, the cost of implementing it is weighed against the value of the lives it will save. Safe...

Illegal evictions harm families, neighborhoods

Illegal evictions harm families, neighborhoods

By Jessica Suico, Advocate Staff
March 2, 2017
Filed under Opinion

Most people are oblivious to what goes on in their own neighborhoods and seem opposed to making friends, holding a conversation or even showing someone that may need help the respect that they deserve. Living within a Homeowners Association (HOA) neighborhood, residents must live a bit differently tha...

False realities blossom through social media

False realities blossom through social media

By Michael Santone, News Editor
March 2, 2017
Filed under Opinion

Nowadays it’s almost impossible to escape social media and the imprinted influences it has on the lifestyle standards projected through society. The now, innate obsession of scrolling in captivation at a virtual community of vividly photoshopped images, “perfect bodies,” overly pampered faces and mater...

You are not your culture

You are not your culture

By The Advocate, Editorial Board
March 1, 2017
Filed under Opinion

The Center for Science Excellence at Contra Costa College has a total of 810 alumni who have moved through the program since 1997. But only about 40 percent of them are women. According to the state Chancellor’s Office online Datamart, about 60 percent of students at CCC during the 2015-16 academic...

We’re going in blind

We’re going in blind

By The Advocate, Editorial Board
February 14, 2017
Filed under Opinion

A lawsuit filed against the Contra Costa Community College District intends to fight how its lawyers handle misconduct allegations against professors at each of its three campuses. The United Faculty (UF), a union that represents tenured and part-time professors within the district, announced in Nove...

Executive orders breed more racism, denial

Executive orders breed more racism, denial

February 14, 2017
Filed under Opinion

In lieu of recent executive orders by President Donald Trump, it has become abundantly clear that the nearly 60 million people who voted for him weren’t after a referendum on economic policy, but an outlet for racial restructuring. It wasn’t the rural uneducated working class whites who gobbled up the...

The Student Voice Of Contra Costa College, San Pablo, Calif.
Opinion