Dreamers Conference focused on undocumented issues, aid to resources

Journalist+Jose+Antonio+Vargas+speaks+at+Massachusetts+Institute+of+Technology+%28MIT%29+in+Cambridge%2C+Massachusetts%2C+in+2017.+

Special To / The Advocate

Journalist Jose Antonio Vargas speaks at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 2017.

By Luis Lopez, News Editor

As a sign of support to the areas undocumented residents, efforts are being made to create easier pathways to resources and help.
In a show of support, the Dreamers Alliance of Contra Costa College will host a Dreamers Conference from 8:30 a.m to 2 p.m in the Campus Center Plaza and Fireside Hall.
The conference is aimed at inspiring and empowering members of the community through art and education about opportunities and resources for undocumented high school and college students.
Educators, parents, and allies will also benefit from the many workshops topics discussed.
Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas, author of “Dear America: Notes of an Undocumented Citizen,” will speak and nationally acclaimed poet and speaker Yosimar Reyes, author of “For Colored Boys Who Speak Softly,” will perform at the conference as well.
La Raza Student Union Vice President Alfredo Angulo said the conference will provide resources for the specific challenges facing the community.
“The event will help provide opportunities and resources for dreamers’ unique set of needs and challenges through art and mental health workshops.”
Informing the next generation about immigration issues and resources is an important part of the Dreamers conference and they hope to accomplish teaching students and instructors.
La Raza Student Union President Ricardo Sanchez said the event will be a day full of informational activities.
Sanchez said, “Breakfast will be served and there will be art activities, keynote speakers and resources covering legal topics, mental health and immigration.”
The conference provides a lot of helpful information in various forms from art to speeches and lectures. Information and resources provided at the Dreamers Conference will also help allies of the Dream Act.
The first Dreamers Conference was held in 2011 at CCC and came from a challenge from the community.
College counselor Norma Valdez-Jimenez was the last conference chairperson and said, “The first conference came as a collaborative effort between the college and the organization Richmond Consilio Latino. It came after members of the community challenged the college about what it was doing to help undocumented students and the community.”
Since then, the conference has been rotated between colleges in the Contra Costa Community College District every year, last being held at CCC in 2016.
Valdez-Jimenez said, “Over the years, the conference has continued to grow and this year we expect to have over 200 guests at the event.”
This year may have the largest crowd yet with the event increasing in size every year and notable speakers performing at the event.
The event is free to all community members.
There will be a free breakfast provided and a full schedule of the conference can be found at Eventbrite.com.