UC Hastings hosts workshop to highlight legal studies

By Luis Lopez, Staff Writer

For students interested in law school, UC Hastings College of Law in San Francisco will be hosting the 16th Annual Diversity Outreach Day event March 16 to empower people of color to enter the legal field.
The event is being presented by UC Hastings La Raza Law Students Association and People of Color Inc. The event, held at UC Hasting’s campus, will last from 8:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.
This student-run event aims to expand the opportunities to obtain an education in law to low-income individuals, minorities and underrepresented communities.
The motivation behind Diversity Outreach Day is to recognize that the legal profession is not representative of the diversity in California.
Oscar Peralta, lead organizer for the event says Outreach Day will help provide students with meaningful information and mentorship with regards to law school.
“The event seeks to introduce undergraduates from underrepresented communities to the legal profession and the law school admissions process,” he said.
Students can expect presentations by People of Color Inc. followed by insight on what makes a great law school applicant.
Hastings professors will give mock lectures and personal statement reviews to acclimate attendees to what is expected at law school.
There will also be student panels to offer a more relatable perspective and lunch will be provided as well.
This year’s event is expected to have about 125 students and already has 75 people reserved. Students say the gathering sounds like a good way to get informed about law school requirements.
Angel Godinez, who has yet to decide her major, said, “The event sounds like an interesting day and seems helpful because there are not too many events that focus on law school or legal studies. I’m undecided and this seems like something that can help me get an idea for what legal studies are.”
Political science major Yada Striparet said the event sounds like something more schools should do.
Striparet said, “I think more law schools should do events like these. Because these fields of study aren’t that widely talked about, we never hear about these types of events. I could see myself going to the event. It seems useful and like they will have good resources.”
The event has been going on since 2003 and helps student navigate the application and admission process for law schools.
During the fall and winter months, UC Hastings offers information sessions and webinars for prospective students. Non-students are also encouraged to visit the campus or visit a classroom to experience a lecture in person.
UC Hastings College of the Law is a public institution located in the Civic Center district of San Francisco.
Hastings is not directly governed by the regents of the University of California despite its affiliation with UC Berkeley.