Wardrobe change emits professionalism

Cindy Pantoja / The Advocate

Volunteers Renne Parson (left) helps a student (right) change into an outfit as Maria Giron (right) organizes clothes during the Steps to Stability event on Friday in Fireside Hall.

By Jessica Suico, Sports Editor

Spreading information about professional etiquette while providing the tools to act on that knowledge was highlighted during the Steps to Stability event, which took place Friday in Fireside Hall.

Hosted by Wardrobe for Opportunity, Contra Costa College and Sparkpoint, the event provided registered attendees with a professional outfit, information about how to become an attractive job candidate and light refreshments.

The event was to help guide students toward successfully getting a job and knowing what to wear during a job interview. It provided racks of different types of professional outfits from which attendees could choose some new clothes.

Career Services Coordinator Natasha DeAlmeida let students know of the event by having Sparkpoint put up flyers around campus and also had counselors and the Extended Opportunity Programs Services (EOPS) provide information to their students.

“We had students register for this event in advance, so Wardrobe for Opportunity knew what sizes and styles of clothes to have available,” DeAlmeida said.

Talent Acquisition Enthusiast Chelsea Diekow, of Robert Half International Company, was the guest speaker for the event.

During her speech Diekow said, “Go to work with a positive attitude, be kind to others and take initiative.”

DeAlmeida said, “We want to help students with resumes, cover letters and get more information on what they need to do to get a job in their career.”

On March 20, a Career Fair will give students who attended the Steps to Stability event an opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills they learned to possibly land a job, DeAlmeida said.

Private investigation major Merari Villasenor said, “Chelsea really lit up the room today with her enthusiasm. This event was great and I learned a lot about what to prepare for in the job force.”

Villasenor learned about the event through EOPS.

Diekow said, “I want to provide students with all the tools they need to succeed on their career path and make them realize they are not alone on this journey. There are many available resources around us.”

Coming out and doing these types of events makes Diekow happy. That she gets to help people succeed and land jobs is something money can’t buy.

“You can’t grow unless you are comfortable with yourself and your career,” she said.

Being a speaker at this event tied into her career and passions.

“I help people land jobs daily with the skills I provide people. It is an amazing feeling to help people succeed and learn something new,” she said.

Diekow got into this career of a talent acquisition enthusiast because when she went for her first job interview in the Midwest for a job into her career, she was not hired because she was overqualified. She realized they had way too many standards, especially for women.

“They didn’t hire me because they knew they wouldn’t be able to treat me like a robot like they wanted to,” Diekow said.

Everyone involved with the event categorized it as a success.

DeAlmeida said, “This event really brought community partners together in the West County population. It is important because we don’t have that many resources in Richmond compared to other Bay Area cities.”