Revived Arts and Lit club to host ‘Festival of the Arts’ at Fireside Plaza

Entrance to Fireside Plaza on CCC campus in San Pablo, CA. (Photo/Contra Costa College)

By Joseph Porrello, Editor-in-Chief

The newly revived Contra Costa College Arts and Literature Club will be hosting a Festival of the Arts Tuesday at Fireside Plaza featuring a variety of activities and performances.

Among the festivities at the free festival will be a group mural project and an art show with paintings, sculptures, pottery and drawings, some of which may be available for sale.

Additionally, a stage will be in place for open-mic poetry readings, live music, drama, and dance.

The college’s Theater Live will be performing a scene from their upcoming production of We Won’t Pay We Won’t Pay!, and a free raffle will be held for a chance to win tickets to the complete show later this month.

This semester, CCC English Department Co-Chair and professor Jeff Michels brought the CCC Arts and Literature Club and its published magazine back to life.

After receiving submissions for content to be published in the first edition of the new campus magazine, Corriente, Michels’ will be giving out a one hundred-dollar grand prize at the festival to the editors’ top student-submission choice.

Michels noted that moving forward, anyone – not just students –  will be allowed to submit drawings, poems, stories, photographs or other work to potentially be published in Corriente.

For many years, the CCC Arts and Literature Club published the Current magazine, so Michels’ found it appropriate to use the Spanish version of the word upon its revival.

“I think it celebrates our role as an institution that serves the Latinx community as a campus,” said Michels.

Corriente will also publish writing in any language with included English translations.

The Arts and Literature Club meets Tuesdays on Zoom from 2-3 p.m. and students interested in joining can contact Michels via email.

IF YOU GO
What: The Contra Costa College Arts and Literature Club’s Festival of the Arts

When: Tuesday, April 12, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Where: Fireside Plaza at Contra Costa College
For more information about the club or to submit pieces to the magazine, contact Jeff Michels at [email protected].