Ceramic auction to fundraise for art supplies

By Marlene Rivas, Staff Writer

In order to purchase materials used in art courses the fine and media arts department is having a fundraiser during the first week of December.

The pottery and sculptures will be sold in a silent auction and include pieces made by Contra Costa College art students.

The individual pieces will be numbered and there will be a sign-up sheet on which bidders may write down their offers. If a bidder wishes to outbid someone, then they must raise the bid by at least $3 more than the current highest bid.

One student, Larry Jones, said that the auction brings excitement from hoping no one will bid up on one’s chosen pieces. The event’s host, Anne Van Blarieom, said that attendees should expect to see great art pieces, which make great gifts.

People can bid beginning Dec. 1. The event continues through Dec. 5. The scheduled times for the event vary by the day and are the following: Monday from noon to 3 p.m., Tuesday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Friday from 10  a.m.-2 p.m. The merchandise will be displayed in the Art Building’s courtyard and gallery.

The items up for bid, which include those by current students as well as donated pieces from previous students, encompass functional and decorative works.

There will be pieces made for household use — such as mugs, plates, casserole dishes, teapots, vases and garden stones, to name a few.

With Christmas being right around the corner, Blarieom said that the auction could be a great chance to acquire wonderful handmade art for a fraction of the price it would be valued elsewhere. 

At the end of the week, those with the highest auction on the pieces will be contacted and informed they have won, and may claim their prize.

The earnings made will then be used to help pay for art students supplies, such as glazing, clay, and paints. Ceramics professor Mary Law said the event is wonderful and a great help to the art department.

“It covers the costs not met for materials, and in previous years it has raised a minimum of $2,000, said Law. First-time ceramics student Belen Macedo said that the event is a good thing. “It helps out (financially), like the Empty Bowls event,” Macedo said.

Students put much effort into making the pieces for the event. The time put into completing pieces varies by the complexity of the piece and the experience of the maker.

Sculptures can take from a couple of hours to a couple of weeks, Jones said. Sergio Corona, who plans to attend the event and support by bidding, said that the event benefits students economically and personally.

“It teaches students to appreciate their own work. It motivates them and helps them discover their potential,” Corona said.