Art gallery to display watercolor mediums

Student-driven exhibit to showcase department

By Roxana Amparo, News Editor

The Watercolor Show art exhibit will be on dis- play in the Eddie Rhodes Gallery from now through April 25 to showcase a variety of student artwork through watercolor paintings and other mediums.

Art professor Dana Davis said the department wants to expose the students’ art and the hard work they invested in cre- ating their pieces through art gallery displays.

Art professor Donna Fenstermaker said, “(The Watercolor Show) is a celebra- tion of the group of (artists) currently (at Contra Costa College).”

Students enrolled in the dif- ferent art classes and artists from a local senior center will have their work on display, she said.

Anyone can visit the gallery during the days the exhibit will be open and get a glimpse of a variety of student work.

Davis said it is rewarding for the students who invest time and effort into their artwork to see other people appreciate their creations hanging in a gallery.

He said the artists are so eager that they agreed to help set up their own creations, which are predominately, but not limited to, watercolor mediums.

Watercolor is a painting method in which paints are made of pigments suspended in a water-soluble vehicle, mean- ing the paint is able to dissolve in water.

Fenstermaker, however, said, “There will be a variety of water- color media.”

Apart from watercolor, there
will be gouache, water miscible
oil, acrylic, granite and others. Gouache differs from watercolor in that the particles are larger due to a higher content of paint, almost chalk-like causing the paint to be heavier and opaque. Water soluble oil also called “water mixable” is a type of oil paint that when mixed with water can be thinned and cleaned up with water.

Davis said, “The work is expanding away from watercolor.” He said the gallery facilitates the sale of the artwork because most student artists do not do commission work.

But student artists are still interested in selling their artwork and can be contacted at the event he said.