Exhibit explores perspectives not typically observed

Union City resident John Lacabanne views photography by his sister Lisa Lacabanne in the Eddie Rhodes Gallery Oct. 17.

By Kyle Grant, Staff Writer

A picture is worth a thousand words — or, so they say.
In the Eddie Rhodes Gallery on Oct. 17, photographs adorned the wall, and for those in attendance, these pictures had lots to say.
A mix of both black and white and color photographs taken by three Contra Costa College student photographers decorated the walls. Each picture told a story of its own and it was easy to see each photographer’s individuality and skill in their craft.
With the help of fine and media arts department professor Dana Davis, students Mitzie Yamamoto, Elmarise Owens and Lisa Lacabanne successfully turned the gallery into their own little museum, with skill and style.
The collection was largely geared toward macro photography, which typically focuses on extreme close-ups of random small nature-like subjects ranging from flowers, to insects, to tiny organisms.
One display, however, seemed to take a step out of macro photography box. In particular, a picture of what first seems to be an ordinary shot of a red apple in ice from afar, appears to be someone’s frozen fingers.
That photo, in particular, sent chills down exhibit goers’ spines.
While Davis encouraged the three photographers to plan the event, Owens provided some insight behind the specific idea to arrange and organize this specific type of presentation.
With a careful look at her photos, it is easy to see that the artists carefully captured moments in time. They accomplished it with attention to detail so specific, it feels like the images of fruit are ripe and ready to be plucked.
Lacabanne’s pictures stood out as well, many of which were of everyday nature. The subjects in her photographs appear raw and unfiltered and sometimes hard to identify.
But upon taking a closer look, the detail almost creeps into the retina.
She detailed some of the history behind her shots and said, “Since the images were captured, weather and time have since changed. And therefore, so has the landscape. So, this makes these images one of a kind shot.”
Yamamoto clearly enjoys taking pictures of things embedded in ice, all from different angles and offering viewers her unique perspective. She views her work as largely a newly created form of art.
“I create original art forms using various ingredients, materials and techniques and let the objects take on a spontaneous, non-contrived, free flowing form, eventually becoming a whimsical abstract piece.” she said.
All the photos are available for sale.. The gallery is open Monday through Thursday and will feature the exhibit over the next four to six weeks.