Winless Comets fall to Folsom Lake

Comet+pitcher+Karon+Casey+prepares+to+throw+a+pitch+during+Contra+Costa+College%E2%80%99s+19-1+loss+against+Folsom+Lake+College+on+Friday.+

Luis Cortez / The Advocate

Comet pitcher Karon Casey prepares to throw a pitch during Contra Costa College’s 19-1 loss against Folsom Lake College on Friday.

By Joel Umanzor, Sports Editor

Better starting pitching proved not to be enough for the Comets (0-10 overall, 0-0 in the Bay Valley Conference) who dropped game two against Folsom Lake College 15-5 at the Baseball Field on Friday.

But coach Brian Guinn said, “We’re still improving.”

Progression is a day-to-day focus for the Comets heading into their final weekend of preseason games before BVC play begins next week.

In the game Friday, the Comets sent starting pitcher Fred Sito to the mound against a Falcon team that had its way offensively in game one of the two-game series on Thursday, winning 19-1.

Sito limited the Falcons (10-4 overall, 0-0 Big 8 Conference) to just two runs in the first two innings, while pitching out of a bases loaded jam in the top of the second.

However, his success on the mound was short-lived as the Falcons applied pressure to the Comet pitcher resulting in a déjà vu experience for the home team.

The Comets pitching and defense traded mistakes in the third inning alternating errors and walks on successive batters.

This culminated in a bases loaded walk giving the Falcons their third run of the game. The score sent the Comet defense into a rhythmic funk for the rest of their half of the inning.

Contra Costa College will continue its pre-BVC campaign on Thursday against Fresno City College at 2 p.m. on the Baseball field.

Left fielder Mychael Jamison said it has been a difficult transition for the Comets from only hitting in controlled environments to facing live pitching within in-game situations.

Jamison, who drove in the CCC’s first run of the game, said the games they have played have been tough but they are helping the team to ready their bats heading into conference play.

Jamison said, “We start conference play next week so getting our offense going is important with these last few games.”

The Folsom Lake game was not without its theatrics with the Comets involved in a questionable call by the third base umpire in the ninth inning.

The play, involving freshman third baseman Hadhari Wadley, was officially scored a double with an infield error thus making both runs unearned — but the call on the field was otherwise.

After first baseman Ike Brown walked with two outs, Wadley ripped a line drive down the left field line that was lost by the Falcon outfielder along the fence.

The Falcon left fielder continued to look for the ball that by rule forfeited the ground rule double thereby allowing both Brown and Wadley to score as he searched for the ball.

Jamison said, “He needed to put his hands up and leave it for the umpire, but he didn’t hold them up for long enough and continued playing it which made the call easy.”

Falcons coach Richard Gregory was irate at the call on the field and let the umpire crew have an earful.

This all happened as Wadley scored what appeared to be an inside the park home run.

Wadley said he wasn’t focused on the noise while he was circling the bases and was locked in coming down the last 90 feet from third base to home plate.

“I had no idea what else was going on, but as soon as I got the signal for me to go home, I went hard,” he said.

The freshman infielder said that he wants the offense to use the runs scored in the second game of this series as a springboard for the beginning of the conference play.