Team continues bad form, 4-win season concludes

Sophomore+guard+Victoria+%0ALopez+dribbles+through+two+Yuba+College+guards%2C+LaiLani+Hanks+and+Taeyla+Washington%2C+during+a+game+at+the+Gymnasium+on+Feb.+20.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore guard Victoria 
Lopez dribbles through two Yuba College guards, LaiLani Hanks and Taeyla Washington, during a game at the Gymnasium on Feb. 20.

Sophomore guard Victoria Lopez dribbles through two Yuba College guards, LaiLani Hanks and Taeyla Washington, during a game at the Gymnasium on Feb. 20.

By Efrain Valdez, Sports Editor

The women’s basketball team (4-23 overall and 1-9 in the Bay Valley Conference) finished at the bottom of the BVC, while only grabbing one victory in conference and stringing together two wins in a row just once all year.

On the bright side, the Comets were able to stay competitive in many games throughout the season but could not finish in close late-game situations.

“The hardest part of any season is trying to get the team to gel,” women’s basketball coach Vince Shaw said. “That took a little longer than most years. But the rewarding part is that you did see some signs of it coming together,”

For the majority of the year, the Comets played with a limited number of players on the bench which hindered the team’s ability to spread out minutes.

“Being able to finish games was hard when you didn’t have fresh legs to compete with squads with deeper benches,” guard Jenna Husic said. She said that this was a big factor in why the team could not put some games away.

During the season, CCC lost seven games in where they were outscored by nine or fewer points. There were a lot of factors that factored into the poor play at end of games.

Shaw said poor coaching decisions, player focus and roster depth all contributed to the problems, especially in those close loses.

He said when there needed to be execution in crucial moments, it wasn’t there for the team.

“Even when the execution was there, sometimes the ball would not bounce in our favor. That’s how basketball is sometimes,” Shaw said.

Although the team did not have a great season, they still tried to find the bright side of things. Shaw said it was more evident this year than others that you have to be prepared for anything during a season.

“You just have to prepare to have it in the back of your mind that everything won’t go your way,” he said.

For the players, it was mostly about staying positive and trying to improve their game individually and as a team.

Husic said working on her jump shot and working with teammates was something the team focused on.

Despite the tough season, Comet forward Larissa Carvalho said having her family at most games helped her out.

“Having my family out there supporting me definitely made me feel better regardless of what the result was,” she said.