Meeting breeds financial literacy

By Luis Lopez, News Editor

In hopes of providing students a greater chance of economic opportunity, SparkPoint hosted its second of a three-part financial planning series in SA-107 on Oct. 2.

The event, Brown Bag Boot Camp, was aimed at helping students plan out their financial budget while providing them with information on how to establish credit and maintain financial stability.

The boot camp included presentations from a financial education coordinator that could also answer questions for students. During the event, students were provided with help on how to deal with financial challenges and prioritize their spending.

Financial workshops like this are a great help for students, financial education coordinator Ingrid Alfaro said.

“There are many students who return and speak on the success they’ve had with what they’ve learned at these workshops,” she said.

Results come fast and they work, Alfaro said.

The financial education coordinator uses what she’s learned from these workshops in her personal life as well.

“These workshops definitely made me look at my spending and apply what I’m teaching to my own finances. I tell students all the time, I wouldn’t be giving you this advice if it didn’t work. I know

it works because it’s worked for me,” she said.

For students who missed this event supporting financial stability, SparkPoint is slated to host another financial workshop aimed at holiday budgeting today at 11 a.m. in SA-106.

Some students who have attended financial workshops in the past returned to get a refresher on what they’ve learned before. Biology major Dominique Bondes was at the event and said she’s attended financial workshops before.

“I attended a financial workshop before but didn’t really apply what I learned to my finances. I decided to attend this one and will definitely use what I’ve learned this time,” she said.

This workshop allowed for students to ask questions and get individualized help.

The biology major said, “I like that I was able to ask questions that pertain specifically to me, it helps give me an idea of how to apply what I’m learning here to my finances.”

Like many events on campus, the event had a low turnout. Students said there could have been a better job done of promoting the event because it is something students find useful.

Business major Matthew Macapinlae said he was not aware of the event but could have benefited from it.

“I’m pretty ill-informed about events like this because I don’t think there is enough done to let students know things like this are going to be happening on campus,” he said.

SparkPoint hosts financial education workshops throughout each semester.