Young squad ends season winless

Xavier Johnson / The Advocate

Right side hitter Nadia Thomas (left) spikes the ball over the net in the Comets’ first game of the season against Yuba College in the Pinole Middle School Gymnasium on Sept. 18

By Xavier Johnson, Web Editor

In a season that was marred by poor receiving and a constantly changing roster, the Comet volleyball team failed to capture a win all season for the first time in four years.

The volleyball team (0-15 overall and 0-14 in the Bay Valley Conference) regressed from its last few seasons matching the record of their 2015 0-16 team, losing every game without winning a single set.

Between those seasons, the Comets managed to have relatively successful stints with a 5-16 season in 2017 and two 2-win seasons in 2016 and 2018. In both of those years CCC fielded players who were top 10 in conference statistical categories.

Last year the sophomore trio of Delaine Baca, Victoria Matue and Makaya Thomas had notable statistical seasons — despite only earning two wins as a team.

With only one sophomore on the squad, the freshman-dominated team, containing a couple players with minimal previous volleyball experience, were late to adapt and still were figuring out how to efficiently execute rotations and play as a team.

Throughout the season, the Comets were never able to find their footing after losing two players and having to integrate newer players into the lineup.

Outside hitter Angel Munar left within weeks of the semester starting, which left only one sophomore, setter Kimberly Calip, on the squad. A few weeks later, freshman outside hitter Katrienne Lemye left the team, which led to increased roles for middle blocker Christina Hall, defensive specialist Anna Miculob and middle hitter Janna Galang.

Calip’s play was praised by coach Christy Tianero as a natural setter and communicator for the team during their games.

“It’s hard to find setters and she’s a natural setter. She can really hit. If I had another setter, I’d have her as a hitter too. If she wanted to be a hitter she could,” Tianero said.

With roster changes and the Comets playing and practicing at Pinole Middle School due to the renovations being done on the Gym, the extra distance made it difficult for players to consistently attend practice which dampened how fast the team could improve.

Libero Jamie Tianero said, “It’s hard to practice a rotation when everyone is not here. The ones that are able to consistently be at practice have to help others with their rotations.”

The Comets did have a couple standout freshman players on the team. Jamie Tianero was ranked sixth in the BVC for digs per set.

Sydney Thach led the team in kills and kills per set and by the end of the season was the team’s best offensive player. She led the charge in scoring runs against College of Alameda and Napa Valley College to end the season.