Comets face challenge at Homecoming game

Battle for first place happens Saturday

By Mike Thomas, Scene Editor

The football team will host Shasta College for the annual Homecoming game Saturday at 3 p.m. at Comet Stadium.

Both teams will come into this game undefeated in the Pacific 7 Conference.

Contra Costa College football coach Alonzo Carter knows the importance of the game against the Knights Saturday. This game could possibly determine who will be the first ever Pac 7 champion, and both football teams want to make history by being the first squad to win the first-year conference’s title, he said.

On Saturday, the Comets drove to Eureka and beat College of the Redwoods 48-24 while Shasta was victorious against San Jose City College, 48-13. The two teams have identical 6-1 overall records, and are both 3-0 in the Pac 7.

CCC is currently ranked No. 2 in the NorCal American Division rankings, while Shasta is No. 4.
During his four-plus year tenure with the Comets, Carter is 3-1 when facing the Knights, but he gives them credit for being a physical and disciplined team. Shasta also leads just about every stat category in the Pac 7.

“(Shasta) is well-coached, and a very physical team,” Carter said “The way they play is very similar to our style of play.”

The game will be the main attraction, but during halftime the athletic department and the Associated Students Union will be giving away raffle prizes to attendees.

“All of the adults will get a ticket when they pay to get in the game,” Athletic Director John Wade said. “We’re giving away iPad minis and a $500 book grant.”

Wade said he anticipates a big crowd for the game, and that the Comets will play up to expectations.
The game will also acknowledge the CCC football team alumni in attendance during halftime. ASU adviser Ericka Greene encourages all attendees to partake in the halftime activities.

“We want people to get excited and participate in the activities,” Greene said. “The alumni deserve acknowledgment and respect from the home crowd.”
Every game during halftime, Carter takes his team to the locker rooms for a halftime discussion. The halftime festivities will have no effect on him, but he supports the idea of having a halftime show.

“I think it’s wonderful to have a halftime show, to show some school spirit, and (Marketing and Communications Specialist Michele Jackson) pours her heart into these events,” Carter said. “But my main concern is to keep my team focused for the second half of the game.”