Program offers unique opportunity for UC experience

Enrollment plan offers courses without per-unit fees

By Roxana Amparo, News Editor

Students have the opportunity to enroll in a class at a chosen university for the upcoming spring semester through the Concurrent Enrollment Program.

The program provides full-time Contra Costa College students the ability to enroll in one course per semester at an outside university, free of charge.

Universities such as UC Berkeley, Mills College, JFK University and Cal State-East Bay offer a variety of courses for CCC students to potentially take, depending on availability.

Luci Castruita, a counselor at CCC, said the goal of the program is to give students the opportunity to experience being on a particular campus before committing to transferring and actually being part of the campus.

The program extends the opportunity to full-time students who have completed 20 transferable units and have a minimum GPA of 2.4, Castruita said. Students can attain full-time status by enrolling in 12 or more semester units.

“It is highly recommended that students have completed English 1A, given the level of reading and writing that is required at the university,” Castruita said.

In order to be considered for the Concurrent Enrollment Program, students must submit a counselor or instructor recommendation.

The program requires a petition sheet that must be signed by the instructor of the course, as well as by the Graduate Student Instructor.

“I recommend having a list of back-up classes just in case the one you want has a restriction that doesn’t allow you to take it,” linguistics major Moises Volantin-Serano said.

He is currently enrolled in an ethnic studies class at UC Berkeley through the program and advises students to seize and enjoy the opportunity.

Castruita said students are allowed to take one class per semester of 3-4 units, which must be taken for a letter grade and not simply pass/fail.

As well, students can only enroll in courses that are lower division. Courses 1-96 are attainable, but above 97 are not, she said.

Jennifer Osoria, Alpha Gamma Sigma honor society vice president, said the program exposes students to what is to come in the future and familiarizes them with what a four-year university is like.

“We get the opportunity to venture out of our comfort zone, which helps build character,” Osoria said.

Castruita advised students to “get lost at the college,” and for students to find their way before the first day of actually attending the college itself. She also said to take courses that will be beneficial to them, such as electives not offered at CCC.

Other benefits of the program include receiving tutoring and library services from the university at which the student is concurrently enrolled.