Social evolution examined through hip-hop

Course analyzes, comments on current cultural trends, compares to economic, political and cultural issues

By Jose Jimenez, Sports Editor

The Hip-Hop & Humanities class offers a different perspective of hip-hop through a social and cultural angle every Friday in LA-108 from 10:10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The Hip-Hop & Humanities class can easily be compared to a cool club on campus, African-American studies professor Ameer Loggins said.

The course observes and examines the development of hip-hop as a cultural movement, which includes hip-hop music, dance, graffiti art and clothing styles.

Students examine key figures in hip-hop, institutions, social settings through readings, electronic media, videos and hands-on projects. Hip-hop culture is not only a source of entertainment, but also a medium that analyzes and provides commentary regarding social, economic, political and cultural issues.

Specifically dealing with cultural identity, cultural genocide, misogyny, racism, classism, materialism, freedom of speech and freedom of sexuality.

Loggins said the students enrolled in his class learn how to accept being associated with African American culture and applying hip-hop concepts on the streets of Richmond.

Student Rickela Greeter said, “What matters the most, and why I am honored to be enrolled in this class, is because we learn hardcore stuff each and every week from the beginning to the end.”

Geeter said the class is focused on learning and improving to “bring something new to the (world).”

She said that while he uses words such as shit, ass and damn in his teaching style, he easily illustrates the real world as complex and cruel.

Many students have different perspectives about the hip-hop class, but mostly try to catch up with Loggins’ distinctive teaching style.

Loggings said, “If somebody is talking smack then I’ma spit that back at you.”

Loggins’ young appearance may surprise a lot of individuals and his teaching methods can be considered evolutionary,  Geeter said.

The class solidifies part of the courses required in the Associate in Arts Degree in the African American studies.