Clubs aim for active spring semester

Students expand awareness through involvement with campus life

By Roxana Amparo, News Editor

The semester calls for new opportunities for clubs, event planning and student participation throughout the campus.

Last semester only 14 clubs were active on campus, and although there was encouragement from the Inter Club Council (ICC), the number barely increased.

Among the 14 clubs active last semester were La Raza Club, Black Student Union, Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, Disabilities Club, Muslim Student Association, Puente Club, EOPS, and more.

“In actuality, we want the students to come together, do the paperwork and start clubs,” interim Associated Students Union adviser Ericka Greene said.

Students who are interested in beginning their own club can pick up an application in AA-109, said ICC President Safi Ward-Davis.

“I want to get clubs out there more often to get students active,” she said.

Club members can request chairs and tables to set up their events on campus, Ward-Davis said.

Last semester three clubs were reactivated and two joined the campus.

The return of the BSU Club and the MSA added diversity to the campus.

SHPE Club and the Contra Costa College Republicans Club were two new clubs that brought on a different scope.

BSU President DeAndre Russell said they are having an event and have many plans for African Heritage Month.

Other clubs, such as the Puente Club and SHPE, are planning on fundraising to visit colleges around the state.

SHPE president Valeria Avila said she is looking forward to a San Jose State tour for SHPE Club. 

Alpha Gamma Sigma president Brenda Vega said they have plans to visit a state conference in Los Angeles, so they will be fundraising through car washes, fundraisers at restaurants, and other things to allocate enough funds for their trips. 

Ward-Davis said anyone can start their own club and encourages students to attend the ICC meetings to be informed.

The first ICC meeting will be on Feb. 3 in HS-101. It is open for all students who are interested in joining a club or starting their own, she said.

Ward-Davis would like to see efforts to begin a LGBT Club on campus.

This semester holds different activities such as Club Rush, which allows students to learn about the different clubs on campus, Wellness Awareness Day, and other activities to allow for more student participation.

La Raza Club Vice President Alejandro Gonzalez said their club plans to participate in the annual Cinco de Mayo celebration. Also, they plan on hosting a karaoke night open for anyone who is interested.

Ward-Davis said she would like to see improvement to the college website this semester, since the clubs will require accurate updates of the current clubs that are “actually” active on campus.