Skills Center offers help, path to academic success

Peer-led sessions give specialized group tutoring, skills

By Evelyn Vazquez, Staff Writer

One-on-one tutoring is available for students seeking help in English, math and science in the College Skills Center Monday through Saturday.

The Contra Costa College Skills Center is located in the Library and Learning Resource Center.

The math department is located in AA-210 and the science department is located in PS-109.

The College Skills Center and math department offers free tutoring for all CCC students.

Being free of charge, students can take advantage of the College Skills Center.

Students taking courses in English, math or science can also take advantage of the tutoring because it is offered throughout the semester.

Tutoring is specialized whether it may be drop-in at the College Skills Center, or one-on-one tutoring by making an appointment.

This semester there has been a new peer-led team learning and supplemental instruction that is run by the students.

This training is a way for students to get specialized group tutoring by peers in specific courses.

Peer tutors first attend the class they give instruction for and assist the teacher.

To have access to free math and science tutoring students need to be enrolled in Math-875N.

For free tutoring in English and all other academic areas you need to enroll in English-875N.

“By students taking advantage of (College Skills Center) tutoring it can benefit students in their academics after all that is why we are here to help and get assistance,” tutoring services coordinator Brandy Gibson said.

Student Karla Juarez said, “I would recommend the tutoring offered. It really makes a difference on how I do in school by coming in every day because it is a quiet place where I can get my work done.”

Although faculty are available to help tutor students in all areas, there are 90 student tutors, 12 who were hired this semester.

Student tutors are hired each semester and it all depends on what the budget allows, Gibson said.

English major Asma Alkrizy is both an English and math student tutor at CCC.

She said students can get a lot of help from tutoring and has seen how students improve by using such services even if they are being tutored by peers.

Student tutors are trained by faculty and are specialized in areas of study including foreign languages, history, business, and psychology and other areas of study that are offered at the college.

Alkrizy said, “At times it is hard to get help from teachers and meet with them in office hours, but student tutors are always available to help in all areas.”

This semester there has been a 5 percent increase in the number of student seeking tutoring services. CCC students have been taking advantage of tutoring services and as a result hours have been extended, Gibson said.

Each tutoring service area has separate hours.

Science tutoring is offered Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Math tutoring is offered Monday through Thursday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. English tutoring and all other class tutoring is offered Monday through Thursday 9 a.m. to 7:45 p.m. and Friday-Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1:45 p.m.