No funds allocated for web administrator

Seidler, questions remain amid college’s online image

By Christian Urrutia, Photo Editor

The maintenance and overall look of the college’s website still does not have a dedicated full-time position at its core.

Fine and media arts department Chairperson Ellen Seidler will continue her role as website administrator for the college through the 2015-16 academic year. Seidler has maintained this role since the launch of the website’s redesign in summer 2014.

“Ellen will probably support us through the next academic year,” Vice President Tammeil Gilkerson said.  “We’re waiting for a position to open and because an allocation process hasn’t happened, we can’t do it.”

The Contra Costa Community College District decided not to fund a position that would include the duties not only of a webmaster, but also management of all online content and web operations related to the campus, Gilkerson said.

Prior to the start of this academic year, she submitted a request to add a classified position under the title of digital media design specialist.

“The district chose not fund that position for whatever reason, but the specifications that are set by the college for the position submitted have to be met in order for it to be allocated,” Gilkerson said.

Seidler said nothing radical has been changed on the site so far this semester, but added how major tweaks cannot be done while it is live and school is in session.

Recent updates include revolving calendar items within the homepage slider and posting information relevant to the students, such as deadlines, workshops or other upcoming campus activities.

All the updates that are requested or potentially submitted are started through a link at the bottom of the homepage labeled, “Request Website Updates.”

For anyone making a request, clicking the link is first needed and from there it is forwarded to WebAdvisor’s login screen.

Students are unable to make requests and it is limited only to classified staff and faculty.

Technology Systems Manager James Eyestone said that the college needs to have a standardized process to submit requests that would have all the different data necessary to make the change.

That is why the web link was implemented, so various departments could add content to the website, he said.

The burden of carrying an entire website’s workload along with teaching and running a department is not taking over her life, Seidler said, adding that she works in time between classes and a lot of the time from home.

“The website is a platform and the more quality content the better,” she said. “We’re doing a lot with a little and it is important because people get all the info from online these days.”

Football coach Alonzo Carter said the college website lacks the promotional features that he feels is present in other community college websites.

He said that CCC’s website needs to focus on students and student-athletes and promote what the college has to offer.

Eyestone said websites are 90 percent marketing and 10 percent IT support, and the consistency of the branding for the college depends on how well the information is provided.

If the message is the same across social media and its online content, it ensures credibility in its publications.

“It really would be quite handy if that process belonged to someone,” Eyestone said.