Cultural connection inspires dancer, speaker to advocacy

Black Student Union vice president balances busy life

George Morin / The Advocate

Black Student Union vice president and dance major Bridgette Lott performs a dance during the African Heritage Month Celebration in the Knox Center on Feb. 12.

Dance major and Black Student Union Vice President and Treasurer Bridgette Lott displayed her full range of talents, presenting two historic compilations and exhibiting poise and grace in the student dance ensemble for the Heritage Month Celebration held at the Knox Center on Feb. 12.

“Dance is just a different form of expression. It carries a message,” Lott said. “Words may be misinterpreted or have multiple meanings. With movement there is no misunderstanding.”

The first student presenter, Lott, opened with an educational presentation of Per Ankh, which translates to “House of Life” in Egyptian. She explored the meaning of some of the art and lost teachings of ancient Egypt.

Later, she recounted the historical importance of Mary Jane McLeod Bethune, who started the Industrial Training School for Negro Girls in 1905. Bethune also led the first black controlled organization to be headquartered in Washington D.C.

Lott brought together two themes of Egypt and trailblazing women in her final presentation – the five female leaders of Kemet.

She encouraged women in attendance to embrace leadership and take control of their education and selves.

She also performed in the student dance ensemble. She explained the importance of dance throughout history and used the dancing of her generation as an example of the power that the art form holds.

“I believe hip-hop has been the most important method of dance in the history of blacks in America. Just like we as people have changed, hip-hop has changed to adapt to the eras. Being able to connect to a dance that transforms as time continues places a historical mark on the evolution of dance,“ Lott said.

“To be able to make history for yourself and others is indelible. Hip-hop unifies the black community, portraying our originality, vitality and ability to leave an impact through movement.”