Local lounge provides scholarship to select students

People congregate around the bar inside of Noya Lounge & Bar in San Pablo on Saturday. The restaurant is now offering up to four $500 scholarships to Contra Costa College students.

Janae Harris / The Advocate

Janae Harris / The Advocate

By Roxana Amparo, News Editor

For the first time ever, a local restaurant and lounge has opened up four $500 scholarship opportunities for Contra Costa College students starting May 1.

Located in 14350 Laurie Lane in San Pablo, Noya Lounge & Bar draws in locals from the San Pablo area with fresh international cuisine and employment opportunities for members of the community.

With the addition of scholarship opportunities aimed to give back to the community, owner of Noya Restaurant & Lounge Norman Lozano said he wants to simplify the opportunity for students in need of financial assistance.

He said students looking to apply must complete three simple requirements.

They must familiarize themselves with the location of the restaurant by at least visiting or sitting in for lunch, write a review of his or her experience and submit a copy for proof, and write a short essay explaining why they are suitable to receive the scholarship.

Grade point average is not taken into consideration, so students do not need to worry about submitting their grades, Lozano said.

Once applicants complete all three requirements their materials must be sent to info@noyalounge.com for Lozano and a review committee to make a decision within the next two months.

The four scholarship recipients will be able to claim their scholarship money either in money order or check, he said.

“People out there who get FAFSA, have financial support from their family and have a job are not likely to be chosen,” he said. There must be financial need.

Lozana said applicants can share their background story and any community involvement to convey their individual story.

Assistant Manager Chan Lathanasouk said the opportunity Noya is extending to students will be of aid for those who do not receive financial aid and need to buy books or other materials necessary for their classes.

She said it will “draw in more students” to Noya, which is what they are aiming to do — to attract a younger crowd.

She said they want to give CCC students assistance because a lot of them don’t receive any other financial assistance.

“It will be successful because it is a way for students to get money,” Manager Christian Castro said.

He said most of the business that comes in is from the students who go to the college and they want a way to repay they for coming in for “spending” their money.

For the short period of time that Noya has been in business it has extended various of opportunities for its local community members.

Lozano said if there is a successful outcome worthy of continuing with the scholarships, he wants to do something big like $10,000 in scholarships.

For further information regarding scholarships information, email info@noyalounge.com .