Injuries explain record, sub-standard performance

Comets attribute lack of scoring to attrition

Qing Huang / The Advocate

Comet second baseman Rome Watson jumps up for a catch during CCC’s 10-2 loss to the Mustangs at Los Medanos College on April 24. The Comets ended their season 6-29 overall.

By Jose Jimenez, Spotlight Editor

The Contra Costa College baseball team finished 4-20 in the Bay Valley Conference (BVC), and 6-29 overall, finishing in last place in what was a disappointing season.

CCC’s ballclub was the only team in the entire BVC failing to win double-digit games overall, losing nine straight games to end the season.

The Comets finished 1-9 in their last 10 games played — a negative trend when contrasting and comparing sports on campus this spring semester.

“We were like the ‘walking wounded’,” coach Marvin Webb said. “We had a lot of people getting hurt, so we (coaching staff) were doing the best we could with what we had.”

CCC finished 3-14 in home games, also beginning the season 1-9, beating San Francisco (4-18 Coast Golden Gate Conference), ironically, 9-2 on Feb. 7.

The pitching staff posted a 6.33 ERA, surrendering 383 hits, 270 runs scored and nine home runs over 308.1 innings pitched.

Offensively, the ballclub ranked seventh in stolen bases and finished 25th in triples overall, as the speed was always there when they would get on base.

However, one home run the entire season by outfielder Kevin Spence, and hitting .254 as a team, was all the bunch could manage this season.

“It was a tough season for us,” outfielder Leander Carter said. “Things just didn’t fall in our favor.”

The Comets best stretch of the season came after losing to Cañada College (9-15 in the Coast Pacific Conference) 7-4.

From Feb. 19 to March 7., CCC went 4-3, sweeping Laney College (6-18 in the BVC) for their only series sweep of the season.

Take that with a big grain of salt because after the series sweep the Comets won one game the rest of the year, beating Los Medanos College (11-13 in the BVC) 6-4, and losing 17 of their final 18 games.

“We struggled this season but as a team we were hoping to finish out the season with four straight road wins,” outfielder Randy Rudolph said. “I still can’t believe the last game has already passed. It was a good feeling to finish the season out with my brothers.”

The win at LMC came after an embarrassing 21-4 loss to the top team in the BVC, Solano Community College (19-5), proving the ballclub had the fight to bounce back after any loss.