UCSC invites stem majors to campus

By Magali Mercado, Staff Writer

Students interested in transferring to UC Santa Cruz with Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) majors have the opportunity to visit the campus Sept. 16.

The Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) STEM department’s transfer field trip attendants will be leaving Contra Costa College at 7 a.m. and returning by 6:30 p.m.

The STEM focused tour will go from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and lunch will be provided for students attending.

Sponsored by an HSI STEM grant, students will receive a tour of the campus, information about transferring and available services at the university.

“We hope students get in contact with the faculty and students with the same major to answer any question they may have,” HSI STEM staff member Ysrael Condori said.

Representatives from the university will be available to answer questions regarding the process of transferring and students will have the chance to visit STEM labs.

Allowing students to visit a major university provides them an opportunity to witness exactly what a STEM major has to offer.

Civil engineering major Alejandro Romero said, “I’m excited about seeing their facilities, lecture halls and labs since that’s where engineers spend a lot of their time.”

University tours are important for the underrepresented students that usually do not get opportunities to tour campuses alone or with their families, director of Center for Science Excellence (CSE) Dr. Seti Sidharta said.

“We provide opportunities that their family may not be able to provide, like bringing their children to tour campuses,” she said. “This is something programs like STEM, HSI, Puente or CSE can do for students.”

Providing students exposure to campuses and to have representatives from the college familiarizes students with campuses.

Sidharta said the STEM field is vigorous and it is important for students to have a support system, so that the transition to a four-year university is easier.

“I prefer students go to a campus that’s more nurturing and supportive so students don’t feel so alone and see others like them. UC Santa Cruz is good with that,” she said.

University trips help ease the process of transferring for students, Sidharta said.