Retro designs bring nostalgia to shoe fanatics

Back to Article
Back to Article

By Joseph Bennett, Staff Writer

All of these shoe brands re-releasing older shoes is a brilliant idea. But it feels like not everyone out there will see it the same way.

Older shoes bring back memories for the older audience, while presenting an opportunity to create new memories for the younger crowd. Why anyone would go against the flow is beyond me.

You should buy the shoes that you like. I own more than 60 pairs of shoes and half of them are shoes that have been re-released and I don’t have a single problem with it. The money I spend on these shoes is my own and no one will stop me from doing just that.

I buy shoes on a consistent two-week basis. I like the fact of trying to get shoes that you want and not everyone can get. It’s almost a challenge, especially if everyone wants that specific shoe.

The multi-million dollar brands: Air Jordan, Jordan, Nike, New Balance, Adidas, Timberland, Skechers, Sperry Ellis,Vans and Reebok are all shoe brands that continue to release shoes, new and old. It doesn’t matter, as long as the brands continue to put a release date on the shoe, they will continue to be bought.

So the biggest names in the shoe game at the moment are Jordan, Nike and Reebok.

Michael Jordan was recruited to the Nike family in 1984 and has not failed it ever since. Just by merely bearing his name, Jordans always sell. When it comes to Jordan, he releases a shoe on a near weekly basis — releasing the exact same shoes all year round and making a new shoe once a year.

They are numbered one through three, all the way to 23 which then skips to 28. Although, he did just recently release some 29s. Jordan has partnered up with many stars and has made shoes for them which sell at high prices.

The first batch of shoes he made, he refers them as retros now.

Now the Nike brand has many partners and hundreds of designs. A majority of the new shoes are made by newcomers to the Nike company. Some stars who are a part of the Nike company that have been re-releasing shoes are Penny Hardaway, Scottie Pippen and Kobe Bryant. These shoes also come in a hilarious variety of sizes from men’s, women’s, grade school, toddler and pre-school footwear.

Shoes that have been re-releasing aren’t only Nike and Jordan. People continue to buy these shoes because of their style, comfort and memory. Or for the memory of having that exact same shoe in high school or grade school.

It doesn’t matter if you buy shoes that came out a long time ago, as long as you like them. That’s all that matters. If you need some help finding some nice shoes, here are some go-to sources: www.kicksonfire.com and www.23isback.com are just a couple of websites where you can keep up with shoe releases, just to be on your A game.