Fall ‘all sports’ Festival aims to recognize ‘drive’

ASU, Inter Club Council to host bi-annual function Oct. 28, 29

By Benjamin Bassham, Staff Writer

Club Rush gives students the chance to get exposed to clubs on campus or to promote their club as well as fundraiser and obtain sign-ins, and is scheduled to run Oct. 27 and 28 on the Tennis Courts by the Gym Annex Building, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Student Life Coordinator Erika Greene said, “I (like to) see all the clubs come together and see what (the community) is about.”

Last year’s fall Club Rush was harvest themed. This time it will be All Sports Festival themed. Inter-Club Council (ICC) President Safi Ward-Davis said, “Whatever team you like — we want you to represent it if you like it — from soccer to swimming to cricket.”

Attendees may wear whatever sports equipment suits them as well as decorate their table as the sport of their choice.

But ASU President Nakari Syon said the festival will also show its support to CCC’s sports teams. “We want to acknowledge all sport teams on campus throughout the event,” Syon said. “Our goal is to acknowledge all student-athletes because (Contra Costa College) is the foundation to support their drive.”

During the fall semester, sport teams that are amid season are football, soccer and volleyball.

The ICC will provide the first day’s free food, and the ASU will provide the second, with $400 budgeted for the purpose, Syon said.

There will be seven inflatable jumpers including one slide, one speed pitch, hoops for basketball and a gladiator joust, which consists of a inflatable arena and some padded poles, which participants may pummel each other for fun.

Visitors can look forward to popcorn and cotton candy. “We’re still trying to lock down the last couple vendors,” Ward-Davis said. 

Despite the success of the corn vendor during last year’s fall festival, “the corn man” will not be returning and the gelato vendor has yet to confirm, Ward-Davis said. Music will be disk jockeyed by Student Services Center and Instructional Support Coordinator Kenneth Reynolds.

The college’s collection of student clubs has seen a rapid expansion in the last year, Greene said, swelling to 20 clubs.

Among the new clubs are the Community Organizing and Political Action club (COPA), the Law Club, the Armed Forces Support Group, Writer’s Block and the Foodies Unite.

There was an attempt to arrange an early Club Rush in the middle of September, but that plan fell through, and it was scheduled at the usual time.

During the last Club Rush there were 12 clubs set up outside of the Tennis Courts.

There  might be more this time, and there is a contest that ICC puts on for every Club Rush to see who has the best table and most signups.

Recent Club Rush events have ranged from passable to lackluster attendance, for which the ongoing construction in the middle of campus has received much blame.