Administrative justice club plans eclectic year

Law Club adviser and administration of justice adjunct professor Latressa Alford explains what the club’s foundations are to prospective members in AA-133 on Oct. 8.

By Xavier Johnson, Staff Writer

The Law Club held its first introductory meeting on Oct. 8 in AA-133 to discuss plans for the new club and best practices.

The club plans to meet in AA-133 every other Thursday from 5-6 p.m. Whether it will be the first, second, third or fourth Thursday is still to be determined.

Members met to learn about how to proceed as a new club. Vice President of Club Affairs Safi Ward-Davis answered members’ questions about the procedures and duties that a new club must know. Ward-Davis discussed the best way to manage club finances, fundraising and preventing Club Rush internal conflict.

The club also discussed possible events to be held. Law Club adviser Latressa Wilson Alford, an adjunct professor, said possible events include participating in Know Your Rights by the California Bar Association.

Other events will be discussed in future club meetings.

Law Club President Nora Rodriguez said, “We want to put together a Know Your Rights event co-sponsored by the Bar Association in mid-November. I’d like to keep bringing influential speakers to campus like we did in September, bringing Democratic Party political strategist Christine Pelosi.”

Rodriguez wants to form a community for people pursuing a law career. She said, “I feel like this campus has a lot of help in the sciences and engineering department, but I haven’t seen too much push for social science areas.”

Law Club Vice President Kenyatta Carter said the club can be good for the campus as a whole. She said the club can help students know their rights. The club can be a place to answer student’s legal questions.

The meeting had lower attendance than Rodriguez expected. Rodriguez said the attendance issue might be her fault due to a lack of advertising.

Carter said the club will fix this by getting in contact with more students and posting fliers.

Despite the initial low attendance Rodriguez believes attendance will rise. She said during the meeting she knows several interested students that must not have gotten her messages. She also said Club Rush will be a great way to get new members in the club. Law Club will have a table during both days of Club Rush.

Carter said Club Rush is a great opportunity to get new members. She said they expect to gain numbers with their presence at Club Rush.

Rodriguez said prospective club members should expect to have discussions on legal issues directly impacting the community. Also panel of students that have already experienced applying to law schools and law school itself is in the works. They can be a part of mock trials.

“I feel like we have a very diverse group and I’m excited to see what this semester has in store for the club,” Rodriguez said, “I know I’m looking forward to seeing new faces and to form an incredibly active group of people.”