‘All-sports’ Fall Festival, Club Rush fosters bonds

Law Club President Nora Rodriguez (left) dances with other participants in front of the Law Club stand during the all-sports themed Club Rush event at the Tennis Courts on Oct. 27 and 28.

By Robert Clinton, Sports Editor

Grey skies and a spritzing of rain was not enough to dampen the spirits of people in attendance of the ASU and Inner-Club Council sponsored “All-Sports” Club Rush and Fall Festival at the Tennis Courts on Oct. 27 and 28.

The event gives students a chance to connect with clubs at Contra Costa College and sample cuisines from local vendors and the Three Seasons Restaurant.

“Club Rush is not a fundraising event. It is meant to give back to the students and generate interest and build relationships with campus clubs,” Student Life Coordinator Erika Greene said.

“It went well. It even got warm after the sprinkles on the second day,” Greene said.

Any money raised goes to the specific clubs but more importantly, there is a signature and table design competition between clubs meant to boost spirit and participation.

The clubs set up tables offering candy or other forms of swag to attract potential members to their corner of the tennis court.

After the event, the ICC tallies the signature count and judges which club had the most festive table set up and most signatures.

Aside from food and fun, the purpose of the event is still to transform a loosely stitched campus into more of a tightly knit community.

“We want to have people culturally aware of what’s going on on campus, people of all ethnicities,” education coordinator and international student adviser Gloria Pharn said. “We want people to know that we are here to help them get acclimated to the campus and the entire Bay Area.”

Campus construction still is an issue as news of the event barely rounded the corner toward the athletic department.

Athletic Director John Wade said he was shocked when ASU President Nakari Syon chose to go with an all-sports theme for this year’s event.

Tables near the entry point of the court were adorned with Comet gear including Go Comet glasses, CCC thunder sticks (devices used for making loud noises at sporting events) and ear-warming Comet headbands.

People throughout the two-day event hurried back to the table in anticipation, waiting for the return of the limited edition gear.

“To me, the event was successful,” ASU Vice President of Club Affairs Safi Ward-Davis said. “I got good feedback from clubs and staff members that attended.”

“We are here to promote our club and recruit new people,” biology major and Puente Club Vice President Esmeralda Madriz said. “There were more people at our table as a club this year compared to last year but I’m not sure about the event overall.”

Music blared but nobody was more oblivious to the ear assault than the children from the Early Learning Center.

They escaped the confines of their fenced-in playground and romped through the festivities, putting a stop to the Middle College High School and Gateway to College students domination of the bouncy house and jousting arena.

Missing were the bails of hay and corn on the cob, as tailgate and stadium treats like turkey sandwiches and spools of cotton candy were offered.

The culinary arts department offered carne asada tacos or nachos topped with fresh salsa.

“Our table has been really packed,” Audrey Borreand, second year culinary arts student, said.