Comets earn bracket trophy over three day tournament

Women’s basketball wins two games out of three for good performance

By Robert Clinton, Sports Editor

The women’s basketball team (6-1 overall) had a good showing at the Ventura College Basketball Tournament, taking two out of three games and winning the consolation bracket trophy over the three day experience during Nov. 27-29 in Ventura, Calif.

The Comets arrived with ample time to rest up before facing tournament favorite Mt. San Antonio College (8-0 overall) in its first game of the tournament. After falling behind by double digits twice in the contest, CCC was able to battle back into position to take ownership of the game.

“We didn’t get a lot of shots off,” Comet sophomore guard Sydney Vidal said. “They defended the passing lanes well and were in our face—we played a terrible game.”

Both runs in the game were sparked by the play of the Comet reserves. In the end, the effort fell short and the Comets dropped its first game 72-61.

On the heels of an opening day loss, the Comets returned to face the College of the Canyons (2-3 overall) of Santa Clarita, Calif.

The Cougar squad was hungry for a win after losing its first game to Diablo Valley College.

The Comets played a more balanced game in its second effort, with five players posting double-digit point totals paced by freshman forward Julian Robinson with 18 points and 20 rebounds.

The game came down to a failed final push by Canyons after knocking down a long two to put the Cougars up by one.

After dominating on the boards for the majority of the game, it was fitting that a rebound and coast to coast drive by sophomore forward Jacqie Moody (15 points, seven rebounds) led to a free throw opportunity for Moody that she converted.

The free shots put the Comets up by one, leaving the score 82-81 as the game’s final.

“There were (instances) where we had opportunities to close opponents out and didn’t,” Comet assistant coach Ebony Young said. “We didn’t do the things that got us back in games when it was time to finish.”

After the Comets split its first two match ups by 1-1, the tournament left a familiar opponent before the squad in its hopes to make the trip a fruitful venture.

The Eagles of Laney College (1-2 overall) and its seven-player roster would seem an easier challenge for the Comets after facing Mt. Sac and Canyons. Once again the Comets used every second of time available in regulation to sneak away with a last second, one point victory.

The final game ended in the same way the second one did, with Moody putting the Comets up by one with seconds remaining in the game.

“I just do what I know I’m supposed to do every game,” Moody said. “Get to my position and beat the post up the court, come off of the bench and provide a spark to the second unit. Every game I’m eager to make my presence felt.”

CCC snatched a victory from its Bay Area rival and escaped with a 70-69 win.