Rhythmic variety on display

Dancers cross cultural genres in grand showcase

Dancers+practice+an+exercise+in+GA-10+on+Monday.+The+exercises+are+in+preparation+for+the+Fall+Dance+Concert++this+coming+Friday+at+7%3A30+p.m.+in+the+Knox+Center.+Tickets+are+five+dollars+for+students%2C+general+admission+%2410.+

Dancers practice an exercise in GA-10 on Monday. The exercises are in preparation for the Fall Dance Concert this coming Friday at 7:30 p.m. in the Knox Center. Tickets are five dollars for students, general admission $10.

By Jose Jimenez, Spotlight Editor

The blazing sounds of old funk music by the group Cameo, and its rendition of  “Candy”, filled the Gymnasium with melodic reminders of the holiday season.

The students and dance participants were finishing up one of their many practices before the Fall Dance Concert on Friday in the Knox Center.

Contra Costa College’s dance program returns to the John and Jean Knox Center stage to share an evening of dance from around the world, urban jazz and hip-hop instructor LaTanya Tigner said.

The concert will start at 7:30 p.m., and general admission is $10 (cash or check), but $5 for students.

Tickets are now available at the CCC Bookstore or at the front door at the time of the event.

Tigner, CCC teacher and professor, will coordinate the show and is expecting the audience to be inspired.

“Not only will the audience be impressed by the hard work the students who are performing accomplished, but I hope this inspires others to pursue their dreams and join a dance class, club or course,” she said.

“Also, just come to appreciate dance and see what dance can do to us, what it can do to the mind, body and soul,” she said. “That’s what it’s all about.”

Tigner said she is happy to see her students working school and two-a-day practices.

She said the concert will have all types of musical performances from Brazilian/Samba, Tango, jazz, ballet, ballroom/Latin ballroom, Zumba, hip-hop, modern contemporary performances and others.

All performances will come from CCC students, she said.

Tigner said this is only the beginning of what her big plan will be for the spring semester.

She said she will teach Beginning African Dance, PE 170A-2246, and it will be offered next semester on Tuesday and Thursday from 12:40-2 p.m. inside the Gym Annex Building in room 10.

The course is for one unit. Tigner said the spring semester course will focus on traditional Central and South African dance forms and their respective influence on more contemporary, and current, African-American dance forms such a hip-hop fraternity stepping and dance hall.

“I’m expecting fabulousness from our dance program in the next few months,” Tigner said. “We have a great offering of classes and our students work so hard so they deserve it.”

For more information contact Tigner at [email protected].