Earth day promotes reduction, clean air

Christian Urrutia / The Advocate

PG&E Customer Relationship Manager Katherine Long (right) speaks to Gateway to College student Vilma Mendoza about energy saving methods during the Earth Day event in front of the main entrance to the Applied Arts Building on Thursday.

By Roxana Amparo, Associate Editor

Three hundred insulated lunch bags, each with seeds, a water bottle and a PG&E sticker were handed out to passing students to promote the importance of an eco-friendly community.

“It’s to help the environment because it is good to make people aware of these things. And any little thing helps,” math professor Glenn Scott said.

Earth Day was hosted by the Sustainability Committee outside of the Applied Arts Building last Thursday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. to raise awareness about how to conserve energy.

“I think it is important to the student body to not just do academic work, but also use fewer resources,” psychology major Jeilo Gauna said.

According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the average household’s leaks can account for more than 10,000 gallons of water wasted each year.

“I lessen the use of water by showering the Filipino way,” Gauna said.

He said his family uses a big tub of water and a cup to reduce the use of water in their home.

PG&E Customer Relationship Manager Katherine Long said she came to provide students with safety tips to raise awareness about keeping the Earth a more sustained place.

She said she used an information wheel as a fun way of getting students interested in asking questions to learn about ways to save energy.

She was also giving out PG&E hand bags, sunflower seeds and pens.

“If we can do little things like plant things, we can make the Earth a greener place,” Buildings and Grounds Manager Bruce King said.

King, who chairs the Sustainability Committee, said next year it will provide more insulated lunch bags for students since they ran out during the first hour.

“We had better stuff than last year,” he said.

This year, students were attracted to the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers Club table to witness a 3D print of a Batman logo.

SHPE Vice President Anthony Garcia said the logo could take up to 25 minutes or more to print depending on the size.

The engineering major said the 3D printer should have been loaded with biodegradable filament as a source for printing eco-friendly designs for Earth Day, but it didn’t arrive on time.

Instead, they used the standard filament to attract students to their table and promote their club.

Promoting cleaner modes of transit like riding a bike, carpooling or walking was the focus of 511 Contra Costa, a countywide Transportation Demand Management (TDM) program.

Bike racks that were installed on campus by 511 Contra Costa were highlighted by volunteers.

Scott was helping promote the college’s carpool services that started during spring 2015, but had a lack of students sign up this year.

The students must be enrolled in at least one class, and must have at least two other CCC students interested in using the carpool service option to qualify.

Scott said Earth Day shows the campus’ spirit and allows them to raise awareness about climate change and other environmental issues.

Representatives from Republic Services, a waste management company in Richmond handed out pamphlets with sustainability tips and water conservation methods printed on recycled scraps of food.

Richmond High student Alejandra Martinez said she recycles and uses less water when showering because she is aware of how much water is wasted.

Martinez said she was visiting the campus and was drawn to the PG&E table to collect a handbag and sunflower seeds.

Scott said sometimes students are skeptical about stuff being given away, but it makes them stop to see what is going on.