Strong managerial skills prepare Amparo to lead

Associate editor plans to create authentic ambience in which growth is nurtured

Tashi Wangchuk

Associate+editor+Roxana+Amparo+conducts+an+interview+outside+of+the+Health+Sciences+Building+on+Friday.+Amparo+plans+to+emphasize+mentorship+with+newer+students+and+strengthen+her+writing+and+editing+talents.++

Christian Urrutia / The Advocate

Associate editor Roxana Amparo conducts an interview outside of the Health Sciences Building on Friday. Amparo plans to emphasize mentorship with newer students and strengthen her writing and editing talents.

By Christian Urrutia, Editor-in-Chief

Assuming the role of a leader can be a daunting task for some, but for newly elected Advocate Editor-in-Chief Roxana Amparo it is just the next challenge.

“I always feel the pressure to do better. I put myself in a situation where I tend to do more, take on more responsibility.

“I think it is because of my personal background and motivation. I’m the only girl in my immediate family who’s interested in school and (pursuing an educational goal),” Amparo said.

The soon-to-be former associate editor was elected editor of the paper for the 2016-17 academic year by The Advocate staff on May 11, running against News Editor Benjamin Bassham.

The Advocate staff has elected its editor-in-chief every year since 1965.

Amparo, 22, graduated from Hayward High School in 2011.

Amparo said, “I feel like I can do it, if we work as a team. I know I can get out of my comfort zone, which is something new for me. But I can bring a different perspective to the staff. We haven’t had a female in charge for a while.”

Taking charge of an organization is not unfamiliar for Amparo, as she was formerly the Puente Club president this year, while serving on The Advocate’s Editorial Board. She has been involved with Puente longer than the time she has spent on the paper.

Assistant Photo Editor Denis Perez is a member of Puente during her presidency in the club.

He said because of her leadership skills  from Puente, Amparo will have a easy transition as editor-in-chief.

He said, “She’ll be able to create community on staff, have people come together and spend more time in the newsroom. I think she’ll try to tackle the lack of engagement that sometimes happens with newer students.”

Perez also said she will be able to engage more students through mentorship, which is one thing she wants to emphasize as editor.

“I want to help new writers. A huge thing for me is for them to improve and to provide support through (Advocate staff) mentors who can help them with anything they want to do.

“I want to let them know we’re here for them,” she said.

Amparo said a nurturing environment in the newsroom is one of her end goals, because that’s the type of person she identifies as. But, “Being strict doesn’t hurt either.”

Sports Editor Robert Clinton said, “She can take suggestions and instructions well from her peers and instructor, and as long she is open to what life will throw at her, she’ll do well as editor.”

He also said the more life and school experience a person has, like a leadership role as club president, the better the perspective of that.

Elvia Ornelas-Garcia, English department chairperson, said Amparo was enrolled in her two Puente English classes when she first started out at Contra Costa College.

Ornelas-Garcia saw exponential growth in her as a writer, which gave her the idea of inviting journalism department Chairperson Paul DeBolt to one of the classes to talk to Amparo about writing for The Advocate.

“She was a little reluctant at first, but I knew she was interested and I encouraged her to enroll (in the program). She is an excellent writer, and listener, which is a necessary skill for an editor,” Ornelas-Garcia said.

DeBolt said, “She’s a strong writer and a wonderful team player. I have no doubt the paper will continue to be a strong presence on campus, and in the state, under her leadership.”