Squad improves record, grows

Volleyball team struggles on the road, wins one BVC game

Comet+right+setter+Joshleen+Ayson+and+middle+blocker+Justine+Ayson+%28right%29+deny+a+spike+by+Laney+outside+hitter+Claire+McKee+during+CCC%E2%80%99s+3-0+win+over+Laney+College+in+the+Gymnasium+on+Sept.+20.+

Cody Casares / The Advocate

Comet right setter Joshleen Ayson and middle blocker Justine Ayson (right) deny a spike by Laney outside hitter Claire McKee during CCC’s 3-0 win over Laney College in the Gymnasium on Sept. 20.

By Jaleel Perry, Advocate Staff

Volleyball season ended Nov. 15, leaving the Comets with a bittersweet feeling about how the season turned out.

It was a long season for the Comet volleyball players who finished 2-18 overall and 1-11 in the Bay Valley Conference, but had more opportunities to win matches than the team had in previous years.

Both of their two wins this season were home games leaving them 0-10 in away games.

“We played hard all season. We’re not  dwelling on the losses too much because we had fun playing the games. That’s all that matters,” coach Christy Tianero said.

Unfortunately, Contra Costa College ended its season on a 13- game losing streak

But, it seems the Comets did not lose their spirit as they made sure they had fun until the last set was played.

September was the only month the Comets won matches all season. The first was a five-set match against Mission College on Sept. 7 and the second a straight set win against Laney College on Sept. 21.

Both games had the Comet players working together to the peak of their abilities.

CCC seemed to start off most games very strong but failed to carry their good play through an entire three-set match.

Fortunately, the Comets volleyball team managed to complete the season with both victories coming in front of its home fans.

Comet players were able look at the positives as they headed into the last home game of the season Nov. 9 — Sophomore Night.

Losing didn’t seem to discourage the volleyball team, as they seemed to work together and play harder after every set.

“We just made sure we tried our hardest every night and made sure we remained competitive,” right hitter Amy Palomares said.

Although they finished 2-18 overall, the Comets were able to beat out Laney and not come in last place in the Bay Valley Conference.

However, out of 20 total games, the Comets were only able to win a total of five sets in those matches.

More than 50 percent of the games played resulted in a 3-0 Comet loss.

Tainero said that no one expected a season like this, but all they can do is move forward and prepare for the next season.

Through all of commotion of a losing season, the coach and Comet players all seemed to enjoy themselves.

After every game, they huddled in a circle at the end of the gym and said a group prayer.

After the prayer, they all looked joyous, no matter what the score of the game was.

The BVC proved to be a challenge for the Comets.

“I had a lot of fun,” outside hitter Alejandra Galvez said.

“The girls and Christy (Tianero) made it a memorable last season for me — even if we didn’t win that many games.”

Going 1-11 in the BVC showed that the Comets still need a lot more work if they want to get on a winning path.

Tainero said that she looks forward to next season and hopefully winning a lot more volleyball games.