Basketball team ends 6-game losing streak

The men’s basketball team (8-17 overall, 6-8 in the Bay Valley Conference) climbed back into the win column for the first time in nearly a month after snapping a six-game losing streak with a 70-47 win against the College of Marin Friday in Kentfield.

The Comets’ offensive pace was set by freshman trio Demar Dunn (14 points), Curtis Harris (18 points, 13 rebounds) and Dru Solis (17 points) in the contest.

“We shot the ball better from the field against Marin,” coach Miguel Johnson said. “They played zone (defense) — we made shots.”

In games that the Comets lost this season, it has been when opponents applied a zone defense that the team shoots its lowest percentage from the field.

After taking an early lead, CCC maintained its hot shooting leading to a 32-17 advantage at the half.

CCC shot 38 percent from the field against the Mariners (11-12 overall, 11-12 in the BVC) and 44 percent from behind the arc.

“The game started slowing down for us after we started making shots and got more comfortable,” Harris said.

The Comets return home to play Napa Valley College tonight at 7:30 in the Gymnasium.

CCC has only won consecutive games twice this season, first, to open the conference portion of its schedule against Mendocino College and the College of Alameda Dec. 21 and 29. The second occurred Jan. 12 and 14 against the Mariners and Napa.

The Comets continued to scorch the Mariners into the second half despite Marin’s efforts to scratch its way back into the game.

“We don’t want to go out on a losing streak,” CCC freshman Steven Evans said.

If the Comets win out, the team can finish as high as third place in the BVC.