Welcome/Transfer Center offers ‘helpful’ resource for students

After three years of absence, tranfer tool returns

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students sign up for classes in the newly installed Welcome/Transfer Center in the Student Services Center on Aug. 28.

George Morin / The Advocate

George Morin / The Advocate

George Morin / The Advocate

By Jared Amdahl, Staff Writer

In 2011, Contra Costa College eliminated its Transfer Center due to budgetary issues.

But now, three years later, the newly installed Welcome/Transfer Center acts as an accessible source of information for students in need of help to become acquainted with college life and transferring.

Doris Gray is just one of the students attending CCC who found herself in need of help registering for classes online. The first place she went was the Welcome/Transfer Center located in SSC-111 in the Student Services Center.

“All of the employees were very helpful — they show you how to use the computers and they explain everything very thoroughly,” Gray said.

The Welcome/Transfer Center is open from 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on Fridays.

The center has four student workers, two hourly staff members and normally a single volunteer, counseling assistant and Welcome/Transfer Center facilitator DeEbonie Noureddine said.

“I think the campus has needed a center like this for a long time, or at least I’ve heard,” Noureddine said.

It is the first point of contact for students that wish to become a little more familiar with the campus, she said.

“Students come here to apply and register,” but are capable of inquiring about everything else a new student would need, such as where to go for basic information, she said.

During an interview with The Advocate in April, Vice President Tammeil Gilkerson said, “My understanding is that students wanted a space where they could register (for classes) and receive support about transferring, so we’re pushing the center forward.”

The now functioning Welcome/Transfer Center is exactly that, and has been used by many students since the doors opened at the beginning of the semester.

Julian Godinez is a part-time college employee and student working in the Welcome/Transfer Center. In his short time being employed in the new facility, he has noticed a constant flow of students in need of help in a multitude of areas.

“I work Monday, Wednesday and Friday,” Godinez said, “and from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., it is super busy.”

Noureddine said that because it is the beginning of the semester, most students come in to inquire about basic information, including where to find classes or how to register. 

But as the semester continues, the facility will gear more toward transfer questions and concerns, she said.

“We’re in welcome mode at the moment. But as the semester goes on, we’ll transition into transferring,” she said.

Allan Sugarbaker is a returning student that has achieved his associate degree in Web Design and is attending CCC in hopes of transferring to a four-year college to achieve a degree in media studies.

“I’ve actually been in there a few times now, and it is usually pretty helpful. There are people there that will answer my questions or at least point me in the right direction,” Sugarbaker said. 

There are normally at least three employees in SSC-111 at all times to help students.