Living through adversity breeds motivation, drive

Turning point moment presents chance to create change

Back to Article
Back to Article

LEFT: Senior Admi-
nistrative
Assistant 
Michael Peterson will be riding his bicycle from San Francisco to Los Angeles from June 4-10 for the Ride for Life event to raise funds for AIDS awareness.

LEFT: Senior Admi- nistrative Assistant Michael Peterson will be riding his bicycle from San Francisco to Los Angeles from June 4-10 for the Ride for Life event to raise funds for AIDS awareness.

By Roxana Amparo, Editor-in-Chief

Denial, grief, bargaining, depression.

These are stages that occur when a person is confronted with a life-threatening illness.

Acceptance, strength, courage, perseverance.

These happen when that person accepts the reality of their condition and usually results in the admiration of others.

When Contra Costa College Senior Executive Assistant to the President Michael Peterson was diagnosed with HIV, 10 years ago this month, he faced an uncertain present and future.

“It was very frightening because I was afraid of how I would be treated by society, and by other gay people,” Peterson said. The stigma toward people living with HIV can awaken insecurities and bring shame.

Peterson said he was afraid he would never be able to date again and afraid that when his family found out the truth they wouldn’t know how to help him.

“I was afraid I would be shunned,” he said. “I kept it secret from (family) for a good seven years, then I finally told my parents. I just recently told my siblings after 10 years of keeping it a secret.”

When telling his family, he said it was like “coming out” all over again.

But with a fundraising goal of $10,000 that will go toward funding HIV/AIDS research, education to help reduce the rate of infections and medication for people with the virus who cannot afford it, Peterson found the vehicle with which he could share the news with his family.

“I was going to send my fundraising announcement to the whole world, and I wanted to give them a heads up,” he said.

The AIDS Lifecycle is a 545-mile bike ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles from June 4-10 that more than 3,000 cyclists will participate in to raise funds for the San Francisco AIDS Foundation and the Los Angeles LGBT Center.

Peterson said his cycling fundraiser is personal for him. It helped his own sanity and allowed him to accept himself as he is.

“When I first was diagnosed, I thought I was going to die — and die alone,” he said. At 27, Peterson found out he had Kaposi’s sarcoma, a cancer that causes lesions in the skin. His immune system weakened and his CD4 (a type of white blood cell that fights infection) count was 57. A count below 200 means a person is living with HIV.

Peterson said with the help of his physician, Dr. Miriam Cameron, he was able to recover and has been taking medication to fight the virus and stay alive.

“If I don’t take my medication every day, I will die. I cannot skip a dose,” he said. “I have extra doses in my desk. I have extra doses in my truck — (I have them) everywhere I go.”

The fact that others with HIV need the same medication, and that it may not be affordable or accessible to them, has driven Peterson to take action.

“That’s why I do this ride. To help other people who are experiencing what I have experienced.”

He said he needed to ride for his own therapeutic help. “It’s helped me release a lot of the shame I felt about having my disease.”

Peterson said living with HIV has given him a “deeper” appreciation for other people who suffer from the condition.

“It’s almost a blessing in disguise,” he said. “I am forced to value my life in a way that some people never have the opportunity to — really reflecting on (our) own morality.”

The initial reaction of people finding out about Peterson’s condition is shock because they haven’t met someone who is HIV positive before, he said.

Foundation Development Officer Sara Marcellino said she found out during a conversation she had with Peterson. She works in an office across from Peterson’s desk inside SA-201 and outside of the President’s Office, and is able to see him on a daily basis.

“My feeling when I found out was pride. He is taking steps to live a full life as anyone with (HIV) can today,” Marcellino said.

She said she was proud of Peterson when he decided to be a part of the Lifecycle fundraiser and supports his cause and that he believes it is his mission to be serving the students of this college.

President Mojdeh Mehdizadeh said Peterson is “highly” professional and a dedicated member of the college and his HIV status does not affect the work he does.

“When Michael shared his HIV status, I felt honored that he trusted me with the information. And on a personal level, I felt love and compassion toward him,” Mehdizadeh said.

Marcellino said working with Peterson brings her joy. “He is smart. He is funny. Michael is really compassionate and such a heartfelt person.”

Peterson said when he found out he was HIV positive he became “cynical” about life. He was forced into adulthood.

But he said he felt it was necessary to be upfront about his status with the people he dated. “I’ve had people who told me ‘I don’t date someone who is HIV positive’,” he said.

“Testing (for the condition) is so necessary,” he said.

With medical advances, Peterson said, he has gone from taking eight pills a day to just two in the morning for the last five years. He has a lot more energy and is probably the healthiest he’s ever been.

“Once I was so secretive about it. Now I don’t care who knows because I will never allow the stigma to prevent me from living. I will never allow myself to be judged for it. Awareness destroys fear.”

To support Peterson’s ride, visit http://www.tofighthiv.org/goto/Spud_Peterson

Also, https://www.gofundme.com/MichaelsRoadBikeALC

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Living through adversity breeds motivation, drive”

1. Randall Love on March 30th, 2017 1:17 pm

I am so Grateful for you Michael in the Honesty of how you are sharing your story here and Doing Good Work and Helping our HIV Community by doing the Race.
    How Fabulous is that! God bless you keep you safe. My prayers are with you my friend.🙏🏻❤️🌹

2. Matt on April 7th, 2017 3:38 pm

I am happy for you and glad to see youre doing well!

3. Don Cameron on April 14th, 2017 2:53 pm

Michael,
    I am Dr Miriam Cameron”s father. I took her on hospital rounds when she was about ten or so.
    She has always had a caring heart and I am quite proud of her for her compassion for her patients and medicine…..passion for art.
    She is wonderful period…..her deceased mother, Miriam, I’m sure would feel the same.
    Good health on your ride. Continue your courageous ride.
    Sincerely,
    Don B. Cameron, M.D.

4. Nathaniel O. Brown on June 12th, 2017 8:51 pm

Hello Michael,

I am so incredibly proud of you for your bravery and openness. You are a wonderful human being!!! Thank you very much for inviting me into your life. You are always in my thoughts and heart. Shalom and Namaste!

Sincerely,

Nathaniel Brown (Nathan)
    Friends Forever

5. Ben Rita on June 18th, 2018 10:40 pm

Am really grateful and thankful for what Dr.Onokun has done for me and my family. I Was having HIV/ AIDS for good three years with no solution, the diseases almost took my life and because I was unable to work and I was also losing lots of money for medication, but one faithful day when I went online, I met lots of testimonies about this great man so I decided to give it a try and to God be the glory he did it. he cured me of my diseases and am so happy and so pleased to Write about him today. if you need his help or you also want to get cured just the way I got mine, just email him below and get your healing. please get in touch with this (Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com) or whatsapp him +2349064844957 . Thank you, Dr. onokun for such a blessed creation. May God allow your legacy to live on. Your products could heal the world.

6. jennifer on February 2nd, 2019 5:13 am

i Thank God will continue to bless you more abundantly, for the good works you are doing in peoples life, I will keep on writng and posting testimonies about you on the Internet, I’m jennifer I was a HPV patient, I saw a blog on how Dr. omohan cured someone, I contacted him and also got my healing, kindly email him now on dromohanherbalmedicine@gmail.com or whatsapp him +2348164816038 God we bless you

• Living through adversity breeds motivation, drive

State Chancellor visits

Opinion

Editorial: Point-blank problems

Sports

Increased role allows Attles to lead squad

Sports

Two-sport athlete finds success

Spotlight

Leonard McNeil inspires through life work

Opinion

Drag culture gets watered down by mainstream TV

Fasting unites in Fireside

Scene

Satire depicts Hispanic stereotypes

Spotlight

Art professor inspires sentiments of creativity

Wine festival funds trip to Italy