Squad dominates Laney Tournament

Comet’s win two games to sweep competition, bring win percentage above .500

By Jason Sykes, Staff Writer

The Comets won both games to go undefeated in a volleyball tournament held at Laney College on Friday. Contra Costa College (2-2 overall) beat San Jose City College and the College of the Redwoods by winning every set in both contests.
After beginning the season with two losses, CCC was able to bounce back and focus on improving its performance in consecutive games. The Comets were able to return home at a .500 overall win percentage by controlling the rhythm and energy of both games.
During the Comets’ first match against SJCC they struggled to find their rhythm early on.  “We underestimated them and got lazy,” outside hitter Rachelle Cuevas said.
Comet coach Zachary Shrieve said it was hard for the team to get going but they managed to communicate well enough to win each set and sweep the Jaguars.
CCC outside hitter Kailey Walker led the offensive barrage with 14 kills and six serving aces for a total of 20 points, while setter Richelle Ledesma had an impressive 22 assists. Both players led the way for the Comets to win each set — 25-17, 25-19, and 28-26.
As the second game against COR started, the Comets displayed the high energy level that Shrieve challenged the team to harness before the game.
The Comets were able to control each set with the help of some key players. Walker led the team again with 14 kills and two aces. Ledesma followed up with another stellar game with 17 assists and some impressive digs. Contributions from every player, however, won all three sets — 25-16, 25-23, and 25-19.
“We were more vocal the second game and more aggressive,” middle-backer Valeria Avila said.
While the Comet victories in the Laney Classic are a success for the program, key sophomore middle-backer Avila suffered ankle injury off the court. She is a veteran on the team and her availability for the upcoming game at Chabot College is questionable.