NorCal Future basketball players tested

Bishop O’Dowd High School (Oakland) freshman Ryzon Norris (left) dives for the ball as another player fights him for it during the NorCal Future bas- ketball camp in the Gymnasium on Sunday.

By Kyle Pierce-Turley, Advocate Staff

More than 70 high school basketball prospects from up and down California came to the Gymnasium to showcase their talent at the NorCal Future basketball camp on Sunday.

Whether it was the high-flying dunks, killer crossovers or smooth jumpers, these high school students showed off their skills to the scouts, media and anyone else in attendance.

This camp brought in strong competition to Contra Costa College and gave young players a chance to compete against a higher level of competition.

Camp coach John Darwin said the play- ers get a feel for high intensity basketball from the camp.

“They must get to know what intensity feels like to make it to the next level,” he said.

For six hours (excluding an hour for lunch) from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. the high school players trained in different practice routines designed to allow them to showcase their skill sets.

Kelvin “KP” Potts, head coach of the camp, used a combination of motivational speeches and competitive drills to help the players sharpen their skills and show them to those in attendance..

“This camp is teaching players the fun- damentals, teamwork and how to showcase yourself,” Potts said.

Potts was able to get a high level of intensity out of the young players and main- tained that strong competition throughout the camp.

Prospects developed their skills and were given an opportunity to get recognition from many different coaches and scouts through- out the day.

When asked what the main benefit play- ers receive by participating, Pott’s answer was clear. “Exposure.”

Prospect Kairee Griffin, a relative of Golden State Warriors forward Matt Barnes, came from Sacramento to attend the camp. His father, Kiko Griffin, said it gives him an opportunity to be around basketball talent from all over Northern California.

“It’s good for him to see that there’s more than just Sacramento,” Griffin said.

Contra Costa College men’s basketball coach Miguel Johnson helped supervise the event.

Johnson said as a coach, it helps put a face on the basketball program at CCC.

There is an opportunity to network with players, parents, high school coaches and recruiters.

Johnson said, “When it comes time to recruit, down the road, I am a familiar face.” Players were able to improve their all- around play through the skills and competition stations.
They also attended defense and teamwork seminars. Athletes were then able to put these skills to work in a competitive 5-on-5 tournament.

“It’s an environment where everyone wants to compete so you really have to come out and show your talent,” camp attendee Trey Jones said.