Coaches evaluate new quarterbacks

Off the record

By Robert Clinton, Staff Writer

Striking first meant nothing as the Comets  had no answer for the offensive onslaught West Hills College-Coalinga inflicted during its 50-21 route of Contra Costa College in Comet Stadium Saturday.

The contest was, for all intents and purposes, decided before the first half ended. But, the preseason is for evaluation, and Comet coach Alonzo Carter used this seemingly lost cause of a game to evaluate his signal callers — also to find out who, if anyone, is prepared to take the reins.

Establishing a lead dog before the season gets underway is paramount for a good team. The selection of the coach’s play calls, along with different blocking schemes, are aspects that become magnified when there are questions at quarterback. Having, or not having, a staple at quarterback affects the offense’s rhythm in a number of ways, even down to the spin and flight of the ball, when considering a left or right-handed passer.

The offensive line takes the brunt of the criticism, especially if the lack of rhythm results in protection issues. Instinctively, linemen know they may not have to hold blocks as long for a scrambling quarterback, as they would for a pocket guy.

Not having a set quarterback in practice and in games makes it difficult for the rest of the offense to predict what to expect from the QB in certain situations.

CCC fans could be heard during the game questioning if the line was even blocking for the quarterback quartet — especially as one quarterback’s fumble was recovered in the end zone for a West Hills touchdown.

“We played four quarterbacks today. That’s rare for me,” Carter said. “We just need to establish which of our guys will be taking the lead role.”

Carter said he’s considering running a dual quarterback system this year. History shows that his last try at a two-tiered system yielded less than desirable results.

In the 2011 season Carter attempted to run the two QB system utilizing Jeffery Anderson and Lamar McKnight. That year the Comets finished third in the conference with an overall record of 6-4. The team failed to qualify for a coveted bowl game.

With athletes only allowed two on-field seasons in JC football and the relative young age of his squad, reasonable minds can only determine that stability will only make the team stronger.
Though it is early in the year, starting, and sticking with 6 foot 3 inch freshman Jonathan Banks, should be taken into consideration.

The first year Comet showed poise, racking up 53 yards on the ground and 83 yards through the air, including a touchdown pass. His unwavering workman like demeanor at the end of a tough loss may be the kind of captain this team needs to get past this turbulent start.