No official decision in place to ban riders

Maxwell Craig / The Advocate

Without any notification that skating is not allowed, a student rides a penny board on the pathway leading from the Library to Parking Lot 9 on Sept. 13.

By Andrew Weedon, Advocate Staff

Confusion about the rules of biking and skateboarding on campus continues to persist at Contra Costa College among both students and staff.

The white A-frame signs that inform students of the ban on biking and skateboarding are only an occasional sight on campus.

Because of this, it is common to see students cruising the brick walkways of the Campus Center Plaza.

The signs are an attempt to limit these activities and encourage safety on campus, however, this isn’t the first time the college has tried to do this.

Buildings and Ground Manager Bruce King said, in previous years, signs were bolted to sign posts on the edge of campus stating that there was to be no riding of bikes or skateboards beyond specified points.

Later it was found out there were no set guidelines as to where this could be enforced, so the signs were removed.

Despite the newer signs now being in use, it has been noted by many that they are not always displayed.

When asked about why this is, a police aide said that they only put them out on days they receive complaints about people biking and skateboarding through campus.

Police Services enforce the rule even on days that the signs are not displayed.

The Contra Costa Community College District does in fact have a policy with regards to these activities.

Sections three and four of business procedure 20.01 deal with the riding of bicycles, roller skates, inline skates, skateboards, coasters, and toy vehicles on campus.

With regards to all of these except bicycles, it is unlawful to ride them on any sidewalk, paved surface, or roadway.

Any person found in violation of this can be cited under California Vehicle Code Section 21113(f).

When it comes to bikes, the policy is essentially the same except it specifically says that bikes shall not be ridden in areas that have posted signs or markings banning them.

Undecided major Marcus Everett, says that he understands why the rule is in place.

“It is useful for people who need to get to class on time, which some people have a problem with,” Everett said.

There has been some concern that skateboarding in particular could cause damage to campus sidewalks and other features.

No damage has been done to the campus at this time, King said after reiterating that safety is the main concern of everyone involved.

King continued by saying that the college and district still encourages the use of alternate modes of transportation and as such, have installed bike racks in front of nearly every building on campus.

At this time, it is not known whether the college or district plan to make changes to signage or markings on campus.

Until a decision is reached, students will continue to board across campus at their own risk of being targeted for complaint