Squad loses in blowout, ends season without a win

Contra Costa College wide receiver Semaj Mitchell makes a catch above Ram defensive back Tyrik Mack during City College of San Francisco’s 62-6 win in San Francisco on Saturday.

By Drew Thomas, Advocate Staff

SAN FRANCISCO — After an ugly start for the Comets in the 2017 season (0-9 overall, 0-4 in the National Bay 6 Conference) losing their final game of the season 62-6 was just as rough.

As the game drew toward its end, players were dealt a jolt of energy after a touchdown which erased the zero from the Comet side of the ledger.

CCC struggled early on offense, (131 yards in the first half) and defensively the Comets couldn’t shut down the high-power Ram attack.

“I expected a tough team. I expected for us to play hard against a good team and went in with that mindset,”  Comet defensive back Kenneth Caston said. “Some of us bowed out early. Some people came already with the mindset that we were going to lose this game. Some people definitely died out.”

San Francisco started the game with an onside kick trying to set a tone of what the game would be. The play, which caught the Comets by surprise, was a wake up call for the team to always be ready for anything.

Receiver Semaj Mitchell said, “They tried to punk us and we made little mistakes, like getting penalties, that set us back.”

Comet penalties, fumbles and an interception helped give CCSF multiple opportunities to score.

The Rams scored three touchdowns in the first quarter and took full advantage of CCC mistakes, charging to a 21-0 lead going into the second quarter.

“Some of the team gave up when stuff started not going their way,” Comet receiver Courtney Beane said. “They didn’t know how to deal with it. We fought, but not necessarily the whole team.”

The Rams lit up the scoreboard with quarterback Zack Masoli passing to receivers Kevin Shaa and Frank Hall for two touchdowns each.

“Quitting is never going to be an option — ever,” coach Patrick Henderson said.

Some Comets appeared to have quit and it showed on the field, especially when CCSF repeatedly carved its way downfield making play after play.

CCC remained scoreless well into the second half after trailing 41-0 at halftime. By then some players looked completely flustered.

Henderson said the score doesn’t matter. What matters is playing the best you can to avoid ending the season quitting on each other.

Caston said, “This is it. We’ve got to keep fighting for sophomores and not give up.”

Just when it looked as if CCC was getting into a rhythm quarterback Davin Lemon-Rodriguez was intercepted by Ram Jairus Woodson — resulting in another turnover.

Trailing 45-0 as the fourth quarter began, some Comets really dialed in and started making plays to push the team down field.

The team finally scored a touchdown when Lemon-Rodriguez completed a 72-yard pass to Beane for a touchdown.

Beane said, “Communication with coaches helped. They put me in the position to make plays, so I thank them for the opportunity.

Henderson said, “Everything we went through, I think it was a great test that our players passed — and that’s not quitting.”