Scoring nightmare persists

Team continues its search for consistency

Comet+player+puts+his+head+down+during+Contra+Costa+College%E2%80%99s+19-2+loss+to+Sacramento+City+College.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Scoring nightmare persists

Comet player puts his head down during Contra Costa College’s 19-2 loss to Sacramento City College.

dperez.theadvocate@gmail.com / The Advocate

By Robert Clinton, Sports Editor

The baseball team (2-10) lost its 10th game in a row, this time in dramatic fashion, a 19-3 loss to Sacramento City College (12-2) Saturday at the Baseball Field.

The Panthers scored early and often in the 2 p.m. contest, tallying runs in all but two innings, while spraying 15 hits around the field.

“In the first five innings, our pitchers got into trouble by walking a lot of players. We tried to put ourselves in a good position to score, just couldn’t cash in,” Comet pitcher Marc Dozier said.

CCC sent four pitchers to the mound against Sacramento — Kyle Brown, Lorenzo Peterson, Marc Dozier and Leo Bowman. Between them, the pitchers surrendered 19 runs on 15 hits, including two home runs.

The staff was not offered much help defensively. Collectively, CCC was charged with seven errors in the game.

Offensively, the Comets found themselves fighting an uphill battle from the first inning of the game.

After going three-and-out in the bottom of the first inning, Comet infielder Wesley Galloway singled then found his way to second base on a failed pick-off attempt giving CCC a runner in scoring position.

A Sacramento pitching error advanced Galloway to third and a walk by designated hitter Jared Jackson gave the Comets runners at both corners.

Another walk loaded the bases for CCC, but the inning ended with all runners left stranded.

After two innings Sacramento led the Comets 3-0.

“What we need to work on is what happens when we get runners in scoring position and that’s all there is to it,” CCC second baseman Justin Summers said.

Trailing 3-0 entering the fifth inning, the Comets encountered a Panther offensive onslaught.

In the inning, Sacramento homered, then scored two more runs on two more hits and left one runner stranded before the Comets stopped the bleeding.

“Baseball is a game of all adjustments, so naturally the pitchers need to stay in the game. The batters need to adjust to how the pitchers are throwing,” Dozier said.

The Comets responded to the Panther offense in the bottom of the fifth inning.

After a walk and a hit into a double-play, Comet right fielder Robert Swanson doubled, giving his team hope and a runner in scoring position. The notion of what could have been a rally failed when Swanson was picked off at second base to end the inning leaving the Panthers with an 8-0 advantage.

“As a pitching staff, we need to have a bulldog mentality,” Dozier said.

Sacramento would score 11 more runs and hold CCC scoreless until the ninth inning to give the Panthers a 19-3 victory.