ASU showcases future club activities

By Marlene Rivas, Staff Writer

The Associated Student Union is combining two of its annual events in order to raise awareness and garner interest for campus events and clubs.

As decided by the ASU, the Fall Festival will incorporate Club Rush this year. The tandem event will be taking place, dependent on weather, either inside the Gym or on the Tennis Courts at Contra Costa College on Oct. 28 and 29 from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.

ASU President Antone Agnitsch said that this is an event that was created purely with the enjoyment of students in mind.

Student Reem Ali, who is returning for his second year at CCC, said, “I hope there will be more activities and involvement with students (this year).”

According to Agnitsch, there will be music, food and games for everyone on campus — from the adults and teens to the younger members of the campus community in the Early Learning Center and Happy Lion Montessori School.

To get into the spirit of Halloween, there will be a costume contest with a prize for the first place winner, Agnitsch said. The ASU will be doing raffle giveaways throughout the event and there will also be an inflatable obstacle course, he said.

Thanks to the extra space provided by the Tennis Courts, there is room for new activities that have not been used in previous festivals, he said, such as a photo booth, henna tattoos, fingernail design and face painting.

He also said that the children from the ELC can expect festive treats and a pumpkin patch just for them.

Middle College High School student Kwame Baffo said, “I like how there’s something on campus for us high schoolers, too.”

This marks the fifth year that the ASU has hosted the event, Agnitsch said. This year’s ASU Board wishes to give students the best college experience possible, he said, despite some setbacks imposed by the construction of the Campus Center and three-story Classroom Building.

Fall Festival and Club Rush were both originally held in the amphitheater, which was removed along with the student activities and humanities buildings to make room for construction.

Aside from the great fun that can be expected, the inclusion of Club Rush in the event will also help students, new and old, to find something of their very own on campus.

This will allow students to be informed about all the clubs on campus, and choose whichever ones fit their interests and needs, Agnitsch said.

With so many to choose from, everyone is bound to find at least one that can become a part of their experience at CCC, he said.