Mariners overwhelm Comets in home opener

Team loses home opener despite valiant first set

Libero+Delanie+Baca+%28left%29+and+outside+hitter+Chrischelle+Reyes+%28right%29+anticipate+a+ball+during+Contra+Costa+College%E2%80%99s+3-0+defeat+against+College+of+Marin+on+Friday+at+the+Gym.+

Libero Delanie Baca (left) and outside hitter Chrischelle Reyes (right) anticipate a ball during Contra Costa College’s 3-0 defeat against College of Marin on Friday at the Gym.

By Xavier Johnson, Web Editor

Despite a spirited effort in the first set, the volleyball team lost its home opener in straight sets (22-25, 9-25, 15-25) Friday against College of Marin (5-5 overall, 2-0 Bay Valley Conference).

Contra Costa College (1-8 overall, 1-2 BVC) played at their best early in the first set keeping the Mariners on their heels with eight unanswered points midway through the set.

After a late serving error, any momentum that was built up throughout the set quickly faded.

“The first set was a lot of receiving errors and bad passing,” coach Christy Tianero said. The final two points of the first set were given to Marin off Comet errors.

As the errors began to mount, the Comets’ energy dipped down reaching its low point midway through set two.

CCC’s offense couldn’t get anything going en route to dropping set two (25-9).

Right setter Victoria Matue provided eight digs along with three kills. Matue said once the team’s vibe turned negative, it couldn’t match Marin’s consistent intensity as the game went on.

“We knew Marin was really good and we played with them in the first set, but we needed to play like that the whole game,” Matue said.

The seventh place Comets face Los Medanos College in an away game tonight, then return home for a game against College of Alameda Friday at 6 p.m. in the Gymnasium.

During the first two sets against Marin, the Comets played good defense providing scoring opportunities the offense couldn’t convert into points. Libero Delanie Baca notched 15 digs and is currently ranked sixth in digs per set in the conference.

Set three was marginally more competitive, however once the Comets surrendered the lead, continued errors limited CCC’s ability to go on a scoring run.

Friday’s loss against Marin is the Comets’ first loss in straight sets in conference play this season. The Sept. 12 victory against Napa Valley College and Wednesday’s loss against Mendocino College both went the full five sets.

With five sophomores and five freshmen on the roster, Tianero said her group of freshman are strong this year and contributing to the team’s growth and chemistry.

Freshman outside hitter Maleah Maddox contributed six kills and three errors on 15 hits. In the first set against the Mariners, the most competitive set of the match, outside hitter Amelia Garcia contributed three kills.

Sophomore middle blocker Makaya Thomas led the team with 11 kills on 18 hits with one error.

Maddox said she’s still adjusting to playing college volleyball and working on being more assertive on the court.

“I could have played harder and called for my ball more,” she said of her performance.