Six applicants earn support from grant

Funding boon seeks to benefit student body

By Xavier Johnson, Assistant Sports Editor

The Associated Students Union approved six out of the 10 applicants for the Grant for Support program for the spring 2016 semester.

ASU Finance Committee member Safi Ward-Davis said the six applicants to be approved this semester were the financial aid department, speech and debate, Hispanic-Serving Institution, Science Technology Engineering and Math program, Police Services, Jazzology, and culinary arts.

The Grant for Support applicants applied for monetary support up to $2,500. $25,000 is allocated for the Grant for Support budget, which is funded through the mandatory $5 student activity fee. This semester only $14,250 were spent. The remainder will roll over into next semester.

The Advocate, La Raza studies department, and Alpha Gamma Sigma had their application denied.

The athletics department’s application has been withdrawn until next semester.

La Raza was denied their $1,200 request because they received Grant for Support funding earlier in the semester and could not apply twice in the same semester.

Alpha Gamma Sigma’s application for $2,475.80 was denied because the Grant for Support request was the same as their general ledger account withdrawal.

On-campus clubs can withdraw from this account to spend during the semester.

The Advocate’s application for $2,250 was denied due to the application being turned in after the deadline.

ASU Finance Committee Chair Jun Chen said that prior to approval or denial, the ASU Finance Committee reviews the submitted application to check for improvements.

The Finance Committee is made up of Ward-Davis, Chen and ASU Senator Francis Sanson.

“We dissect the applications,” Ward-Davis said.

She said the applicants must consider all available options before coming to the ASU to apply for Grant for Support funding. Applicants also need to present multiple invoices showing they have searched for options.

Chen said the Finance Committee goes through each of the applications at least twice.

After the applications are reviewed, the ASU sends an email to the departments and clubs to specify when they can present their case for funding to the ASU Board.

“We notify the finalists by inviting them to present at the next ASU meeting. We also notify the non-finalists and strongly encourage them to apply next semester,” Chen said. 

All six of the approved applicants presented in front of the ASU during various meetings throughout the semester. 

Because the money comes out of the $5 student activity fee, every approval must benefit the majority of students to be approved, Ward Davis said.

Director of the speech and debate team Joseph Carver, speech department Chairperson Sherry Diestler and speech and debate team member Lerecia Evans presented to the ASU for funding to assist with their travel expenses to a national speech tournament.

Carver said, “We have a wealth of talent here at CCC. The diversity and skill in the student body at large is incredible.”

Evans, a speech major who recently won a bronze medal at a statewide speech and debate competition at San Francisco State presented alongside Carver and Diestler at the meeting.

“This is my first semester on the speech and debate team, and it made me more active on campus,” she said. “Before I would just go to my classes and then leave. But now I’m a tutor for speech students — I am in a new world.”

Ward-Davis said, “Something like the (national speech competitions) benefits the college because it makes our speech department look (competitive) with the awards that (they have) won from various trips.”

She said attending off campus and out-of-state competitions could also bolster participation, and the information learned at these competitions can be brought back and spread to the campus.

Finalists that present their request during a meeting receive the final decision from a member of the Finance Committee through an email, Chen said.