Pottery Event promotes growth

Maxwell Craig/ The Advocate

Art students create bowls in the Art Building for the Pottery Event held on Nov. 7 through Dec. 1 in Fireside Hall.

By Efrain Valdez, Social Media Editor

The Pottery Event fundraiser held every semester is an opportunity for students, professors and volunteers get a chance to sell their handmade ceramics affordably on campus. Bowls, teacups, coffee mugs and plates were displayed at Fireside Hall last week.

“Most art departments make their students buy their own clay and that can get very expensive,” assistant ceramics professor Allen Perlof said. The students here on campus only pay $9 a semester for the clay, he said.

CCC alumnus and art department volunteer Allen Logan said that without this fundraiser, the student’s imaginations would be constrained because they would try to make the best of the limited supplies.

“By having this event we can provide as much clay as the students need. That means they can be creative and it helps the whole department,” he said.

“If you don’t have to pay for the clay you have an opportunity to expand, it allows you to use your creativity freely,” Perlof said.

Art department volunteer Darrell Turner said that it can cost up to $20 for a single brick of clay and that most students here don’t have the resources for that expense.

“For the college to provide the material it allows students to pick up a profession or a hobby,” he said.

“Back before we had the new facilities here on campus we would hold this event in the Art Building,” Logan said. “It’s nice having it here at the new facility (Fireside Hall).”

All the volunteers said that they enjoy giving back to the art department and Contra Costa College.

“We just try to help out and make sure students here get the opportunity to reach their full potential in whatever (art) field they choose,” Logan said. “We do these events because (the district Governing Board in) Martinez only allocates a specific amount for certain departments.”

Perlof said that when colleges and schools face budget cuts, the first places they usually cut are the art departments. With the help of the volunteers every semester students are fortunate enough to save a lot of money when buying clay for ceramics or other art material.

“Some of the money made is also used to buy other materials, such as glazes.”

The continuous hard work from instructors, volunteers and students allows the department to make the best of what resources are available to them. Selling their wares makes it possible for students to use their creativity free of financial stress.