Rushing attack too much for Corsairs

Banks 95-yard scramble gives team spark for victory

By Robert Clinton, Sports Editor

EUREKA — The Contra Costa College football team ramped up its rushing attack, outgaining the College of the Redwoods (2-5 overall, 1-3 in the Pacific 7) on the ground by 221 yards, overcoming soggy conditions, and a multitude of penalties eventually running away with a 48-24 victory here Saturday.

“This is what they call a trap game,” CCC football  coach Alonzo Carter said. “We will not be looking past or underestimating anyone on the schedule.”

CCC (6-1 overall, 3-0 in the Pacific 7) is back in San Pablo for Homecoming Saturday taking on Shasta College at Comet Stadium at 3 p.m.

Running the ball was critical for the Comets as the high wind gusts and rain affected the passing game, thus translating into 262 total rushing yards.

CCC’s strong play on the run was highlighted by quarterback Jonathan Banks 95-yard touchdown in the third quarter, which ultimately changed the game’s momentum.

“It all starts with line play. I used my legs more in the second half,” Banks said.

While the Comets were able to establish their rushing attack later in the game, their first offensive possession ended abruptly, however, as defensive back Jermiah Rainey fumbled the ball after a 15-yard kick return.

After a defensive stop by the Comets on the following drive, they got the ball back as the rain began to intensify. Short passes and runs fueled the early drive as Comet running back Harold Holcombe III and Banks carried the rushing load. A chop block penalty negated a hard earned Holcombe first down. 
He bounced back, however, sloshing his way to a 29-yard touchdown run.

The Corsairs were held to only 14 yards on their first two plays of the series. They followed that up by throwing an interception to Comet defensive back Greg Chuks with 8:08 to go in the first quarter.
The ensuing drive for the Comets saw Banks recover a fumbled snap, hand it to running back Kruger Story Jr., who also fumbled, and the Corsairs were able to recover.

Two special teams penalties and a roughing the passer call by the Comet defense helped COR move the ball across midfield.

The Corsairs took advantage of the opportunity, connecting on a 24-yard touchdown pass, after an encroachment penalty by CCC.

“We were a little over-anxious today because we knew we were better than they were,” CCC defensive line coach Darryl Blackman said. “Everybody was in a hurry to make plays.”

CCC did more to hinder its own success than any other factor in the game. Another Comet attempt to switch field position fell short when the CCC punter Terrance Barnes muffed the punt, fumbling the ball, allowing the Corsairs to recover the ball in prime field position. The Comets prevented the touchdown, but COR turned the mistake into a field goal.

The Comet offense was able to retaliate on its next drive as Banks hurled a 47-yard bomb to receiver Raquan Jones which set up a two-yard touchdown run for running back Tyler Shields-Toomey.
CCC now led the Corsairs 14-10.

With four minutes remaining in the first half Banks dropped a 39-yard pass into the hands of Barnes.
This time Story finished off the drive with a 2-yard touchdown run.

After a missed field goal by COR, it placed the Comet offense in good field position, however, the unit lost another fumble while also earning an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in the process.

COR was able to capitalize, scoring on a 16-yard touchdown pass, keeping the score 20-17 at the half.
After an exchange of possessions in the second half, the Comets were once again trapped with their back against their own end zone.

On third and 10 from his own 5-yard line, Banks broke free, shedding three would-be tacklers and out running the entire Corsair secondary for a 95-yard touchdown run.

“I just want to keep getting (multiple) receivers involved-and break 50 points,” Banks said.
Over the next six minutes the Comets played like a complete unit.

Comet defensive back SirDevonta Stewart started the team’s surge with an interception that led to a 2-yard touchdown pass to receiver Jamachel Torrez.

COR turned the good fortune into points, keeping the Comets within reach at 34-24.
The Corsairs forced CCC to punt on its first drive of the fourth quarter, however, a fumbled punt return by COR receiver Nick Moran, which was recovered by Comet defensive back Rilwan Adedeji, led to another 2- yard Story touchdown run.

Sophomore Comet quarterback Justice Jones came in to quash any ideas the Corsairs might have for a comeback as Jones connected with receiver Raenard McPhee for the final touchdown of the game.