Culinary honors ‘Cupid’s season’

By Marlene Rivas, Staff Writer

The second annual Cupid’s Season Dinner will be held on Thursday from 5 to 8 p.m. in the Three Seasons Restaurant in AA-239.

Valentine’s Day will be celebrated while simultaneously generating funds for scholarships for Contra Costa College’s culinary department, culinary arts Chairperson Nader Sharkes said.

The event is organized by culinary arts students to raise funds for the department’s future trips to Europe.

Guests can expect a five-course meal accompanied with a glass of champagne for guests over 21.

Culinary arts assistant professor Elisabeth Schwarz said the culinary students are thrilled to have the chance to show off their skills in a romantic ambiance accented by candlelight, music, delicious food and great service.

The food menu for the evening will begin with a warm mushroom turnover and amuse bouche to open up the palette.

A green mix consisting of Chioggia beets, young greens, goat cheese, sherry vinaigrette and hazelnut will then be served to accompany the appetizer.

Afterward, servers will parade a house made fettuccine with smoked salmon and Meyer lemon cream to people’s tables.

The entrée for the event will be braised short ribs served with gold roasted mashed potatoes and carrots.

And finally, chocolate zinfandel will be served as a Valentine Day dessert to complete the meal.  

Sharkes said the restaurant provides a wonderful space for couples seeking a romantic Valentine’s Day dinner.

The dining area will be decorated with candlelight, roses and even a red carpet at the entrance.

Former culinary arts student Ron Webster said his band is “ready to set the atmosphere of love” through music. 

The idea to organize a Valentine’s Day dinner was introduced by culinary students Topaz Sanders and Lauren Patrick.

They said they wanted to bring something new to the department.

After brainstorming, Patrick said they came up with the idea for the Valentine’s Day event and she even picked the name.

There will also be photography available, which will also be provided by students.

Reservations are still being taken and can be made by calling 510-215-3878, or by emailing [email protected].

They can also be made with students of the department.